4 Norwegian bands paying tribute - 85%

csehszlovakze, January 7th, 2012

After successfully plagiarising the subtitle of Darkthrone Holy Darkthrone, let me begin the review of this tribute EP.

After a short guitar intro Norwegian Evil kicks in. Satanic Blood is one of the most primitive songs I ever heard but Infernus (battery) and Tormentor (vocals and strings) made it more primitive! At the first few listens you can hear only a wall of sound (an impressive one I might add) but the song reveals itself after a few spins. Tormentor sounds like an evil alien who is still possessed by Satan (pun intended). The song itself has twice the length as the original. At the end the song ends similarly as it began. 17/25

The second cover (Von) is by Amok. I was surprised when I looked up the band here on MA since they don't play black metal (although members have connections to the genre). The sound is great: somewhat clean but still raw. Vocals fit the song nicely. The slow section is interesting (I'm not a fan of it but still cool) but the follow-up makes the song shine in its dark light (with the barks hehe). After a bit of sloppiness the song ends. 20/25

The third song (Lamb) is played by Taake. This cover was also released on the Nekro EP. The sound is similar to the s/t album's. The higher-pitch "echo" on the vocals (actually another vocal track) is a great effect. If you know Taake and VON, you'll know what to expect here and Hoest doesn't disappoint. I sometimes wish the song was a bit longer, it's so good. 23/25

Urgehal comes to finish this release with Veadtuck. After sampling in the intro from the original song it begins. The sound is clear but far from sterile, the production and the performance makes this song to the highlight of the EP. Vocal-wise... well, this one is instrumental. Drums (especially the toms) have a unique sound. Guitar sound couldn't really be better. This is just perfect. 25/25

If you're a fan of VON (or the bands playing here) or keen to hear tribute albums, this one is for you. The four bands show four facets of VON that might have been hidden before. Recommended.