Stinkforce - 40%

Erin_Fox, October 28th, 2006

Symphorce obviously likes Dream Theater and it would be quite hard for the band to deny the fact. “Godspeed” ultimately is majestic in some moments and during others, it is wildly predictable. An ultra-compressed mix reigns in the songparts that strive to break away from the reigns of power metal into more aggressive soundscapes. Good ol' Andy Franck bears the round-sounding voice of Tate at times, but some of the tones that he utters are a touch too bland for the band’s generally muscular riffing. His voice does grab a bit of that Hetfield bite during “No Shelter” and “Black Water”, but doesn’t clamp down hard enough for it to stick.

For Godspeed, the songwriting is there, just not necessarily the performance and here the finger points squarely at Franck. As the band members most often provide an ample champion like-tones, “Nowhere” finds the listener feeling that Franck should leave the love metal to Ville Valo. You have to admire the bruising strength shown in cuts like “The Haunting”, where the entire band stand on-point in one of this record’s truly shining moments.

Unfortunately, those moments are just too few and far between in order to hail this album as being anything that could be considered groundbreaking. Fans that enjoy a bit of thrash grooving power metal with a progressive aura will go for this if they are diehards but for the most part, this is going to be nothing new to longtime headbangers.

A disappointment, but still OK ! - 65%

Nightrunner, September 17th, 2005

I looked forward to this release after the two great albums ”Phorceful Ahead” and ”Twice Second”, but to be honest i’m actually a little bit disappointed with ”Godspeed”. It’s a very uneven album, it has about 5 good songs, but the rest of the album are really fillers. I don’t know what it is, but some songs just feel way too much Nu-metalish. Just listen to “Black Water”, there’s at least 80% Nu-metal in that song I can tell you, and it’s for sure on of the weakest on the album. But in general it’s the same Symphorce we know, heavy parts mixed with progressive, calm, technical parts, but just in a weaker version than before.

The album’s plus side is like always, Andy’s vocals. I’m starting to like this guy’s vocals more and more and he has become a favourite of mine, really powerful voice. The production is also great, the guitars and bass sounds thicker than ever and the drums are heavy prodded, s no complains on those parts. And on the positive side of the songs are the heavy mid-tempo “Everlasting Life” (best on the album too), the moderately fast and heavy “Haunting”, it has a lame chorus but great verses. “Wounds Will Last Within” and “Your Cold Embrace” are also two heavy songs, “Wounds” has some really cool riffs and a great chorus. “Your Cold Embrace” has ripping riffs, and a awesome pre-chorus. And we also have "The Mirrored Room" a heavy one with a cool and bluesy intro. A fairly lame chorus, but the rest of the song is great.

In any way, I would recommend you to buy “Phorceful..” and “Twice..” before this album, ‘cause they kick this album pretty easily on most parts. For me “Godspeed” is one the biggest disappointment of 2005, but it’s still a absolutely OK album though.

3 best songs: Everlasting Life, Wounds Will Last Within, Your Cold Embrace