Svarttjern - Misanthropic Path of Madness - 70%

ravenhearted, March 5th, 2009

As the spiked fist of Satan himself, the Norwegian blasphemers SVARTTJERN have an appointment with your face, so it's time to kiss your teeth goodbye. You might have heard of these guys through vocalist HansFyrste's other band RAGNAROK, which means that this can safely be classified as True Norwegian Black Metal.

Despite of their nationality, the crushing brutality of "Misanthropic Path Of Madness" places SVARTTJERN musically closer to those notorious Swedes in MARDUK than their often more atmospheric countrymen. There are plenty of moments where I catch myself thinking that this should have been the natural follow-up to the modern masterpiece "Nightwing", which should be considered a compliment. Leaving no room for fiddly-diddly folk frolicking, and no monotonous melancholic moments, every track is a display in total overdrive of no-bullshit evil and ferocity.

Even though nobody can accuse SVARTTJERN of breaking new ground, the pure energy and bile of "Misanthropic Madness" is a swift and unpretentious kick in the balls. And the devil knows, we all need a good testicle-assault now and then!

(Online March 5, 2009)