It is 1998 and sounds like 1992!! - 87%

Visionary, February 26th, 2006

What we have here is two long tracks totaling just over 13minutes. It is hard to believe that this was only released in 1998 as it sounds like it was recorded around 1992. This is unmistakably Scandinavian as it possesses that raw and extremely cold atmosphere that made the scene so distinguishable from the rest of black metal in the early 90s. This EP sounds like a cross between Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem and Emperor.

The recording quality is raw, harsh and extremely cold sounding. The thrash elements that made up the first wave of black metal are present reminding me of early Mayhem when Dead was vocalist. The riffs for the most part though are extremely hard to discern sounding very distant and are mostly lost amongst a wall of noise created by a heavily distorted bass. This gives rise to the chaos that plagues this recording that is where the Emperor influence shines through from Emperor's self titled EP. The drummer uses a lot of double kicks and snare and tends to be fairly far back in the mix putting the focus on the guitars. The vocals are chilling screams sounding very distant and only occasionally a keyboard is used.

I recommend this to anyone who likes cold, raw and hateful black metal in the vein of the old Scandinavian sound.