Great, original Progressive debut. - 92%

DarahntheGreat, December 7th, 2006

Suspyre is a progressive metal band from New Jersey, and with this album they explode onto the metal scene. This album has everything: great musicianship, original riffing and solos, amazing singing, and it also integrates influences from a large range of different musical genres to create a sound unique to this amazing band.

The album starts off with Sospirare, a very well done, orchestral, 48 second opener with a great choir section. This leads directly into one of the best songs of the album, "Father of Hate", a fast paced, prog/power metal song with an amazing chorus. There is one consistency about this album, and that is that all the songs are very catchy, melodic, and will grab your attention and hold it hostage for the entirety of the 56 minutes. After two very well done pure progressive metal songs in "Distant Skies" and "Waterburns", we get treated to the jazz influenced ballad "The Breath of Gloria". It is topped by an amazing performance on vocals by Clay Barton along with some female vocals from Danielle Kaplowe, just to give it some diversity. After the ballad of the album comes "Last of the Survivors", which kicks the album back into action with this fast, progressive style song that lets the drummer (Sam Paulicelli) showcase his great prowess over his kit, though he does this constantly throughout the album. After a short intsrumental interlude, we go straight into "Apex", which has some growling vocals and some diverse instrumentation at the end. This changes things up a little bit but is overall, IMO, one of the weakest tracks on the album. Next we are treated to the mid-paced rocker "Serpent I Am". This song has some very well done whispered vocals in the beginning, and it sports not too overdone vocal lays, this song contains many, many, many speed changes, and is, IMO, the most progessive song on the album. And finally, we get to the highlight of the album "City Under Sands". This song is pure riffage, with an amazing chorus and superb drumming. If there is was any doubt in your mind about the band's mucisianship, then "City Under Sands" should kill that doubt. Even if prog isn't your thing, just download this song. It is wll worth it. And the album is ended the same way it begun, with an extremely fast prog/power metal song in "I See". Then, to top it all off (and possibly to give the listener a feeling of accomplishment) we end with "Seguirai", another short, orchestral track that only lasts for 1:01.

This isn't one of those groundbreaking albums that everyone and their grandmother needs to own, or they will suffer the fleas of one-thousand camels infesting their croutch. No, this is simply a very good debut from a very young, very talented band, that will, more than likely, be assaulting the stereo of many a metal head in the next few years. Give this a chance, you will not be dissapointed.

CD Review / Suspyre - The Silvery Image - 100%

DAVEatBEC, January 14th, 2006

“The Silvery Image” CD starts off with ’Sospirare’, a very nicely done 48 second majestic orchestration piece with classical choir vocals. The music is written by one of the band's two lead guitarists, Gregg Rossetti (guitarist, composer, saxophonist, tenor viola da gamba, Chapman Stick, etc.) and is similar to a prelude from perhaps the band Epica. Then the guitar riff kicks off the second song ’Father of Hate’. The musicianship is noticeably very high right away; the sound is prog/power metal all the way with double bass drums sounds, lead guitar solos, twin guitar harmonies, and the epic presence of orchestration elements. Track 3 ’Distant Skies’ starts off with featured keyboards, played by Rich Skibinsky (guitarist, keyboards, orchestration, etc.) the other lead guitarist. The vocals are impressive, and the lyrics that include dragons feel right at home with this style of music. Track 4, ’Waterburns’, the orchestration element is again very strong with a grandiose entrance piece that rolls into guitar, and the drums handled nicely by Sam Paulicelli. Then, midway through the 7+ minute song it moves into a strong progressive style, and there are some voiceovers and keyboards layered in. Track 5 is another 7+ minute song, ’Breath of Gloria’, which is clearly the ballad, as it starts off with piano and then saxophone no less! Vocals are added, and then Kirk Schwenkler (Bass, Flute) comes in with the flute! Later still, a nice guest female vocal ( Danielle Kaplowe) is added, before the song finishes with its epic ending of choruses. This song is followed with a quicker tempo song ’The Last of the Survivors’, to get things picked up a bit before being mid-way though the CD and we hear the drama of the 1:19 orchestration piece, ’Ascension’. Following this is a track ’Apex’ which mixes nicely in with orchestration, then guitar and drums lead us into the very progressive metal elements. It’s a minute and a half, when the vocals start for the first time, some good time changes, then a surprise…we got growl vocals! All sung over a prog/fusion sound, like something from the progressive band, Pain of Salvation. Another surprise on the following track ’Serpent I Am’, is the use of some synthesized effects added to the music and vocals at times; these in with the heavy elements of the guitar and some more growl vocals! The 10th song is the one from the Prog/Power festival sampler ’The City Under Sands’, and sounds like a cross between Angra and Symphony X, with Clay’s voice showing at times its Russell Allen style…not a surprise it was selected as the track for the Prog/Power USA festival CD. The next track ’I See’ is in the same up-tempo as its predecessor and a good way to leave the listener before closing of the album with the final orchestration piece ’Seguira’. It’s a minute long and the album has epically come to its end.

It’s unbelievable this is Suspyre’s first true full album, and that they haven’t been signed by a label yet is clearly a temporary situation. This is extremely high caliber progressive metal with epic orchestration and great power metal elements. Not only is this the surprise album of 2005, it is clearly one of the year’s absolute best prog/power albums!!

What is this redundant bullshit? - 35%

LeTisonBrulant, January 1st, 2006

Here we have Suspyre's full-length debut, The Silvery Image. They're a prog/neo-classical band from New Jersey. I usually don't go for prog, but I heard The City Under Sands somewhere and it was fucking amazing. So, of course I got the album. Sadly, The City Under Sands is the highlight here. And by that I mean the rest of the album is uninspired, ballad-ish garbage. The listener is forced to listen to 56 minutes of ups and downs (mostly downs), going through the cheesiest, most uninspired and downright GAYEST album of 2005. The City Under Sands proves this band can actually write good stuff, but they should focus more on the riffs, and less on the neverending ballads, the meaningless instrumental interludes, and trying to find a unique vocalist (seing as the one they have right now doesn't evoke no emotion whatsoever). The production is top-notch (even though this style requires perfect production), but it just feels so fucking bland, uninspired, neverending, redundant, and all synonyms that come to mind. I'm listening to 'Serpent I am' right now, the last track, and this was my third time listening to it (just to make sure it wasn't one of those 'growers), and i'm feeling like i've listened to this bullshit 74 times already. Some of the stuff sounds proggy in the bad way (dream theater wankery), however some of this stuff ends up sounding almost like nu-metal. Stay away from this. Just download The City Under Sands, a well done power/prog song. But, this had good production, and one good song, so i'll be a bit generous and go with 35.