Moving forward - 95%

satanhatta_, September 25th, 2013

Cadaver Pleasures, Supreme Pain's first record, is really groundbreaking for numerous reasons which are repeated on their second record, Nemesis Enforcer, but with a little twist for good on general aspects. Here, we have the same dose of brutality and speed with the novelty of finding maturity on the songwriting.

The album is absolutely nothing more than a fest of riffs. Every single song has varied compositions, but leaving behind the simple and groovy riffs of their first record. The band focused on modern death metal songwriting having more technical riffs, one of the fastest drums to be heard and more complex song structures, being that the strongest point of the album. Basically, the songs are average six minutes and you do not get tired on any moment thanks to the fact that all parts of the songs are not overlong or overused. As I said before, the riffing is a lot more technical, but not getting into the "wankery" status, and the soloing is improved, not only doing the Slayer-ish shredding, but being the melody an important part of the leads.

There is no point on the record where the drummer is not a highlight, doing inhuman blast beats for minutes straight. Sadly, it becomes a bit repetitive on some tracks like "Threshold of Immortality" and "Nemesis Enforcer". Those two are perfect examples of how a varied and sometimes a slower drumming is missed. Another bad point is the bass guitar. The riffs and bridges are appropriate for a virtuous performance of the instrument, for example, the intro riff and melody of "The Unholy Throne" sounds empty for having a tedious bass lines and that usually repeats on a lot of points of the album; a better bass player would have been an amazing improve on the band general sound.

The vocals never cease to impress me, with all this brutal bands having this extremely low growls, this raspy talking of Aad Kloosterward is some refreshing change on the usual hearing, also, it fits perfectly with the sound and ideas of the band.

The band shows once more the amazing quality of their music, with speed, brutality and now some incorporation of melody, a factor more used on their third album, giving a record full of headbanging, catchy and epic moments. I gave this record a 9.5 out of 10 for the only reason I am an old school enthusiast and the change of the 90's sound to this is not my bread and butter, but the album is practically perfect and highly recommended for all kinds of metalheads from oldies to newbies.

Favorite tracks: "Threshold of Immortality", "To Serve in Slavery" and "Vengeful Wrath"

Brutality enforcer - 70%

autothrall, November 14th, 2009

Aad Kloosterwaard is a busy man in the Dutch death metal scene, having drummed and fronted Sinister, and played in Houwitser, Infinited Hate, Blastcorps and Thanatos. With Supreme Pain he's joined forces with members of FondleCorpse, Putrefied and others to produce straightforward blasting death metal not unlike Sinister in construction. Nemesis Enforcer is the band's second offering and I like to think the title is inspired by the G.I. Joe villain...but that could be a stretch.

This album pretty much lives and dies by its direct brutality and the slight sense of elevated melody which haunts most of its tracks. On my first listen, I was rather unimpressed, but after a week I gave it another chance with better results, my attention held throughout. "Vengeful Wrath" opens with a Sinister-like burst, crushing quick death metal with riffs just hooky enough that you don't want to press stop. Wild, spastic leadwork and great blunt vocals compensate for the fact that a few of the riffs are blood average. "Legacy of Chaos" feels like a stop/start from the first song, it's fast and fun with at least one good grinding riff. "The Unholy Throne" is a step up with its moody, chugging opening segment, a guitar melody providing the mystique that was lacking in the first two tracks. I like the narrative style creepy vocals and the crazy leads, a nicely refined Morbid Angel influence in place here. Other winners on the album include the relentless thrash/death of "Threhold of Immortality", the Pestilence-like chugging of "To Serve in Slavery", and the sobering brutality of "Goddess of Divine Retribution".

Nemesis Enforcer is a little better than the band's previous album Cadaver Pleasures, the energy has picked up like an unstoppable rage. There are some truly fantastic moments on the record, and the Dutch style is always refreshing (falling somewhere betwixt the USDM/Florida roots and Swedish grinding tones). It's not the best death metal I've heard lately, but it's solid enough that fans of Sinister, Behemoth, Nile and Morbid Angel might want to check it out.

-autothrall