An ambitious effort that really pays off - 95%

Nafzger, May 18th, 2009

I've been a drone fan for a long time. I love music that creates a bleak atmosphere and that's exactly what drone does. However, even I can admit that pretty much all drone sounds the same. That is, until now.

This is by far Sunn's most accomplished album. They experimented with chamber music and ethereal vocal melodies and it seamlessly meshes with their typical sound. Things really get started on the second track. It reminds me a bit of Fantomas or Mare. The last track features a trumpet that reminds me of Ennio Morricone. The last track is also the reason this album doesn't get a 100% from me. The trumpet player hits this really sour, out of key note that is blatantly obvious because it's drone and there's no way to cover it up.

Another thing you may notice about this album; riffs. You can actually hear what they're playing now because it isn't being played at .5BPM. The production is crystal clear, and their musicianship has really taken a leap forward with this release. Fortunately, it's a leap in the right direction. For once, it's not just about a brooding, heavy drone sound that makes you feel uncomfortable. This album is actually very relaxing, very catchy, and very upbeat.

I hope Sunn release more albums like this one because it's definitely their best album.