An exercise in redundancy. - 50%

Goldblaze, December 28th, 2012

It's an interesting thing how some certain genres rise in popularity, then they begin to steadily decline, and then sometimes popularity starts to rise again, which not only brings old schoolers back, but spawn a lot of bands in an attempt to 'revitalize' the scene. So, thrash revival you say? Well, the mere word sounds very promising. After all, old school thrashers had some classic albums, a great headbanging material, even better if you hear them live, and hey, do you know any metalhead who'd stand still on a Kreator gig even if he/she hadn't heard them before? Thought so.

So, Suicidal Angels. Hailing all the way from Greece, which hosts one of my all time favorite bands, Rotting Christ. Now, as good as that band may be, that country isn't well known for producing metal bands, so these guys playing thrash metal and hailing from a country only known for it's mediterranean black metal sound at the beginning of the 90's is sure a recipe for gathering a lot of attention. Now for myself, I only heard of them like 5 months ago, while they were supporting Exodus, and while these guys sound actually pretty insane live, this album feels like an exercise in redundancy.

This is a really bad attempt at early Exodus. Now when I say bad, I don't mean the music itself is bad, it's just pointless to the core, it's all been done before, and not once. Moshing Crew really tries to be A Lesson In Violence, Chaos really tries to be A Toxic Waltz, and when all is said and done, these songs don't get the job done. The album is of course, packed to the brim with old school thrash riffs, but they carry no weight to them. This album listens like a best-of from the 80's thrash, just without everything that made that genre so spicy and delicious. The guitar tone is so undistinct, the drumming is stale, vocals are your generic thrash shouts, and bass is nowhere to be heard. Or well, he can be heard I guess, just that you have no reason whatsoever to actually pay attention to the bassist (where is D.D Verni by the way, just by looking at the number of guest musicians, atleast they could have got themselves a great guest bassist), he is following the guitar all the time. I guess the title track ain't that bad, but once you got past 2 or 3 songs, it all starts to be so unexciting, it's like a sleeping pill. But I have to give my kudos to Chaos, which is while being mentioned earlier as an attempt at an already done catchy tune, and having an intro overdone to the fucking oblivion, is pretty fun, especially with that accent. Kheios!

Speaking of musicians, Suicidal Angels are a four-piece, with two guitars, a lead vocalist and the guitarist and the bassist are backing vocals. Now, I know it, cause I saw them live myself, so can anyone explain to me the purpose of having two of the greatest death metal vocalists ever to walk this miserable planet on the worst possible track on the album they could choose? That track is obnoxiously boring, has a hideously bad chorus, and guess what? Karl Willets is doing... the shouting. That's right, Karl, the frontman of the greatest death metal band is doing stupid yelling in the last part of the verse and the chorus. But, that's not it! The most distinct voice in death metal, the one and only Martin Van Drunen is also included, but I haven't noticed him until I read on the booklet that he performs the vocals. I mean, seriously? I am a big Asphyx fan, I like Hail Of Bullets, and Consuming Impulse is one of the greatest death/thrash metal albums ever recorded, and I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE MARTIN? Where is he in the song? Now, I'm sure Suicidal Angels met and befriended a lot of great and respected musicians and songwriters on their tours but that doesn't mean that they should use them on an album as redundant as this one, and on the track as boring as Legacy Of Pain. It's like when that Brazilian power metal band hired Bruce Dickinson, Michael Kiske and more to do guest vocals on the album. I mean, why, what's the damn point? Write your own music and perform it as artists yourselves, don't expect well known musicians to raise your popularity.

So, in conclusion, if you want a really good attempt at early Exodus, do you know which band to look up? That's right, that would be early Exodus. Or if you want Kreator worship, you could just try... Kreator? Yeah, cause those bands have a distinct sound to them, and certainly did contribute to the development of metal. And since most of the thrash heroes are still alive and releasing music ranging from okay (Exodus, Heathen) to great (Overkill, Kreator, Sodom), it pushes bands like Suicidal Angels further down the drain. There is nothing to be heard here that you haven't heard a thousand times before, and this comes from a non-thrasher, a totally casual thrash metal listener (easily seen from the fact that despite me only mentioning bands that are on top of my tongue, I only mention a few bands), and I think it says enough.