Genre Milestone. - 88%

Manwaring, March 5th, 2007

I was highly skeptical upon receiving this EP from a friend, as I’ve become accustomed to the majority of suicidal black-metal bands being an absolute load of dissonant wankery. While I won’t deny I’ve enjoyed a bit of dissonant wankery in my time, I certainly don’t need yet another “kvlt” demo from some teenagers in Scandinavia full of it. So imagine my surprise when I had a listen to the first track from this EP. The thing that struck me first was the production, which was far above average. While the guitar tone and drum sound were something in the vein of Filosofem era Burzum, the quality of production and the way the over distorted and fuzzed riffs came across reminded me mostly of Abyssic Hate. What separates this band from Abyssic Hate is the crafty use of Bass guitar. In fact I’d claim the bass is actually the lead instrument on the first song, as it seems to play the actual slow paced riff, while the guitars drone fuzzily in the back ground. The song writing here stands out, it’s hard to place, but one really does get the feeling a lot of arrangement was put into these songs, and not the hastily construction crap we’ve come to expect from Scott Connor. The vocals are nothing special, but get the job done, in fact they are buried beneath the thick sheet of distorted guitar, and the almost melodic bass lines which dominate this EP.

However, all of this seems kind of familiar doesn't it? Let's see, base high in the mix, slow paced suicidal black-metal, tortured vocals. Yes, it sounds just like Shining …But a look at the release date will show you that this was released years before the first shining album, which should the give you insight into what an original album it was for its time, pre-dating the entire suicide-black-metal trend. Which probably explains why the band was unheard of during it's lifespan, as had this band existed at the high of Xasthur worship they would have no doubt become far more popular than they are now. Overall, anyone reading this review will know largely what to expect if they’ve ever heard anything in the suicidal black-metal sub-genre, only this is done with far more forethought and skill, a milestone in the beginning of the genre, and a shame it never became a full album.