I wan't your heart, your soul, and your mind! - 89%

DarkSideOfLucca, May 2nd, 2009

Devin Townsend does exactly that by unleashing his "Alien" upon the world. There is not much to say about Devin Townsend that has not already been said. He is absolutely out of his fucking mind, he is a musical genius, he is ugly as fuck but has one of the most beautiful voices in metal. All of this is one hundred percent true. I am personally much more a fan of his solo work, especially Terria, but as far as Strapping Young Lad goes, Alien is my favorite.

I can already hear all of you City fans screaming, "But why? Have you not heard his magnum opus?" Yes, I have listened to City and that actually is my second favorite. Call me crazy, but all you have to do is play the track "Skeksis" to realize that Devin (along with the rest of Strapping Young Lad) is experimenting so far beyond his comfort zone it is stunning. His lyrics, as always, are absolutely hilarious but strangely intelligent, and I believe them to be much more hilarious and intellectual here than on any other album they have released.

This album has a little bit of everything, from the sheer intense fast paced "We Ride" to the slow, (oddly) beautiful "Thalamus." From the silly lyrics of "Shitstorm" to the thought provoking lyrics of "Love?" To me, this is sort of like the Beatle's self titled white album in the sense that it would have everything you would possibly dream of having on a Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend album. It's a shame that I will never get a chance to see Strapping Young Lad live, but Devin already announced that one of his four albums in the new Devin Townsend Project will be heavier than anything Strapping Young Lad has done! But in the meantime, we still have Alien, City, SYL and The New Black for Devin's heavier side. If you haven't already, listen to Alien. It's experimentally fun metal at its best.