Stillborn - Esta rebelión es eterna - 60%

Phuling, April 16th, 2009

The latest album from Stillborn doesn’t really qualify as a fullength. First off it’s only 25 minutes long, and only half the material is their own, the rest is covers. I didn’t know that at first, so upon my initial listen I was more surprised as to how much the tunes differed in style. But I later realized that "Soldiers of hell" is originally a Running Wild tune, "Sodomize the dead" a Piledriver tune, "The third of the storms" a Hellhammer tune and "Nightmare" is a Sarcofago tune. But since I don’t listen to any of said bands I didn’t recognize the songs. Good thing we have internet then, since no promosheet accompanied the CD telling me anything about it.

But besides the covers, which I suppose is their 'Tribute to unholy metal', as the subtitle of the album is, it thankfully contains a dose of Stillborn’s usual slab of mangle. After the initial intro "Abandon all hope" sets in, and with blazing speed. The blasting, screaming and growling knees you in the groin right from the get go. Their brand of über-violent vocals gets me thinking of the French black metal scene, with its extreme ferocity and blend of screams, growls and everything in between. Thrown in are tons of death metal references, as well as plenty of thrashy riffing. But the main focus still remains death-laden black metal; fast, technical bulldozer hammering. It is unrelenting in its approach, letting go only for a few seconds.

I definitely like their own material, but the cover part of the record doesn’t do much for me. Sure, they certainly put their own twist to the originals, but since I’m not really a fan of either of the covered acts it doesn’t thrill my nostalgia bones. I would much rather have had this a MCD without covers, but I suppose that’s me.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net