SO underrated! - 90%

Xeper, May 18th, 2003

I love this goddamn album, but it's never talked about among Steel Prophet fans often. It's always Messiah this, or Book of the Dead that. This is my favorite of theirs, and in fact the only album they've done that I can listen to regularly. It's better than most of their standard power metal fare, as it's part speed metal, part power metal, part thrash, even kind of progressive in places. Best of all, they don't forget that they're HEAVY metal. The album opens right up with a heavy opener, "Montag", which opens up kind of standard trad metalish with some monstrous drumming until it breaks into dual melodies on guitars, and when the song gets going, Rick & crew send the adrenaline rushing through your veins. "It's a pleasuuure...to BURN!" Greatest opening line I've heard in who knows how long! In case you're wondering what "Montag" means, this is a concept album, as the lyrics are based on Ray Bradbury's book Fahrenheit 451 (a very good book, I might add). It's all very well written here, never really toeing the line of cheesiness, and the lyrics are done vaguely enough so that you can appreciate them without having read the book. Some tracks like New Life are beautiful, mellow parts that get heavier occasionally, while other songs like Strange Encounter are all-out speedfests. Plenty of versatility here, with very strong musicianship to back it up and great attention to songwriting. Of course, Rick Mythiasin's Dickinson-esque vocals are terrific, and he's not yet in the Bruce-worshipping mode that some fans criticise him for on later releases. All in all, a terrific and dark release of somewhat technical power/thrash that must be checked out.