Where does Micheal Amott come up with this? - 76%

Madman, November 14th, 2002

I'd like to know where Micheal comes up with the Spritual Beggars music as this stuff is in stark contrast to what he has done in Arch Enemy and Carcass. I've heard a lot of people call this doom metal but that doesn't fit, the closest classification is "doom rock". It does have its doomy moments but this is more of an old school 70's type rock/metal album than anything else.

Now, I haven't heard any of the Beggars other albums but this is one is quite strong. It's a mixed bag of hits and misses, the hits being "Beneath the Skin", "Young Man, Old Soul", and "Tall Tales". When the band hits they really hit and you find yourself following along with every guitar lick, solo, riff, drum beat, drum fill and vocal melody. The misses consist of "Fools Gold", "Fejee Mermaid", and "The Lunatic Fringe" and unfortunately when the band misses it lacks any of the energy of the other songs. The rest of the album is good but doesn't stand out and slap you in the face like it should.

The vocals are very strong rock vocals(gruff but with just enough melody to keep the songs from falling apart). The guitars are great, which really doesn't need to be mentioned as this is a Micheal Amott band and the drumming pounds through the songs with lots of 70's styled drum bits.

Overall a strong album and after hearing this album I will certainly be checking out some more of the Beggars material.