Great soundtrack for a great film by a great band! - 80%

Miihkali123, June 11th, 2009

Let's say it again. Great soundtrack for a great film by a great band. Though this review won't be very neutral since I'm great Spinal Tap fan, I think every metal fan has to accept that this is very well planned and made joke. Spinal Tap has plausible history with it's pop rock and hippie eras, just like first real heavy metal bands had (Black Sabbath started as blues band, Deep Purple was first referred as acid rock and Led Zeppelin was progressive rock group...). Songs are carefully made and without the over-the-top lyrics about sex, rock 'n' roll, sex, myths, sex, fantasy, sex, epic things and sex, no one could guess this is made as joke.

The most impressive thing on this album it it's diversity. There are fast rock tracks ("Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight"), epic Black Sabbath style things with hints to occult ("Rock 'n' Roll Creation"), epic sing-a-longs ("Big Bottom", which is with it's line "big bottom drives me out of my mind, how could I leave this behind" one of the funniest tracks ever recorded...) and just weird stuff ("Cups and Cakes"). Another highlight is "Stonehenge", which thanks to idiotic medieval style solo and insane speak intro by Nigel Tufnel is also very funny. "Gimme Some Money" is also great parody from pop rock bands of 1960s and is as annoying as Beatles were - though same time extremely fun.

My favourite song from this album is however "(Listen to the) Flower People" which is really symphatic track. It makes me same time smile and cry:

"Listen what the flower people say
Listen, It's getting louder every day
Listen, it's like a bolt out of the blues
Listen, it may be calling now for you"

Yeah, let's take some acid and listen that track again, again, again and again. I just love that track (also the music video which can be seen on the DVD release of the film is hilarious).

If there is something actually bad on this album, I don't like very much the production. Though the 'older' tracks (GSM, C&C, LTTFW) sound very much like how that time albums really sounded, on the metal tracks sound is quite thin. Massive wall of sound with lot of distortion would work better on this heavy music.

But still, this is a classical heavy metal album, and though before this album Spinal Tap was just a joke, it became after that as real band as Iron Maiden and the other popular bands of 1980s. Though they have after that released another album (and third is coming soon...) and couple of singles, as well as live VHS, this is still the greatest moment of now legendary Spinal Tap.