If you're not Canadian... - 70%

Disciple_Of_Metal, March 22nd, 2009

If you don't live in Toronto, haven't debated over choosing between hockey and metal on evenings, and have everything against laid back Canadian beer, then you probably won't "get" this release. This is after all, a band that dressed up as hoola girls for a Halloween show.

Though they do prefer German beer, and I have no idea if they watch hockey or not, there is something strikingly CANADIAN about them. Perhaps it's that humble-but-smug attitude towards their own music. They're not Razor, but they wouldn't mind opening a show for them. You could regard them as a joke band, but they are more or less set in their groove and the piles upon piles of influential releases that make this album look pitiful won't deter them even in the slightest.

You couldn't really call this thrash, it just doesn't have the kind of riffs that make you want to kill things. But it is speedy, and more or less riff-driven, a bit downright filthy, and above all basic metal. Every song has it's catchy moments, but it's hardly interesting and nothing develops out of it. There isn't really anything else to say, although it IS good enough for you to go out to see the band on a Friday night, and they won't charge you more than the cost of a beer for it.

But seeing as how they'll never end up playing shows outside of local Toronto pubs there's really no point in giving this album much thought if you don't get the opportunity to see them.

They reign as a semi-joke - there's something innately laughable about a bunch of mid-life musicians (who grew up as friends to Razor in their heyday) singing about playground fights ("Knuckle Sandwich"), yet the music is still honest enough. Sure, that hoola girls thing was for a Halloween spectacle, but they've done other shows and they do force people to headbang. And although the album is hardly worthwhile compared to the thousands of other releases the metal underground has to offer, I couldn't help but remember how playing this louder in the car, with the windows rolled down, involuntarily made my neck rock back in forth, as all good metal music should do.

As I've seen them live, I'm not offended by having their album in my collection. But can I listen to it more than once a year? Tough question. Would I mind having a few beers with them at their next show? That's better!

So 70 points might seem a bit too generous for this release, since nobody but the Toronto core has any chance of seeing something in it. But I found this album for about $7.99 in a chain record store in a mall that normally charges around $20, and I had already seen the band to know what to expect out of it. If corporations can't even make you pay a premium penny they must be doing something right. And since other local acts will charge you the usual outrageous price, this laid-back Canadian bunch gets a big thumbs up from me.