A Rare Gem Among Filth - 95%

serial_killer_miller, May 12th, 2007

To find a new band that offers something a little bit different is becoming harder and harder nowadays with so many bands ripping off the classic death metal style paved by such bands as Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, Suffocation etc. However, once in a great while one can come across a band that offers something different or just strikes a chord with you and for me one of these rare gems are the Danish death metalers Spectral Mortuary.

I heard some great things about these guys in fact, another review suggested that bands such as Nile, Deicide, and Cannibal Corpse should take notice! Wow was that review ever on the money! Spectral Mortuary surely pay homage to their oldschool death metal forefathers where some parts of this album sound like the classic early 90s style of Floridan death metal ala Deicide's Legion album. While the very next minute sounding like newer death metal bands like Aborted and Skinless ala From Sacrifice to Survival. What really struck me about Spectral Mortuary however is that they have found a great way to blend the true death metal vocal style and the crushing riffs and blistering drumming with something that is rarely found in a great death metal record lately, groove.

This album should certainly appeal to both new death metal fans and those who have been a fan of the genre since it's hay day. If you like homage to oldschool death metal with an elment of groove these guys will certianly be worth checking out. Stand out tracks include "Necrotic Flesh Cravings" The title track "From Hate Incarnated" and my personal favourite "Autophagist" I swear I have had that riff in my head for the past few days, you'll know the one I'm refering to when you hear the song.

What else is really neat about this album is that it has the perfect closing track. A heavy melody infused instrumental called Concluding Carnage. A perfect way to both end the record and tell the listener what they should expect. This album is truly full of carnage groove laidened carnage!