Amongst the ruins... - 75%

JanZwart, May 13th, 2008

This first track on this split starts off with a typical depressive black metal riff. It somewhat reminds me of Branikald, the guitar sounds really deep and harsh. It stands out of the mix like it should. The drums are well played, they tend to sound repetitive, but that's enjoyable in this style of music. The vocals fit this song like a glove, very harsh and distorted. I have to say that this is one of the best songs I've ever heard in this genre.

The second track is a little weird at first, it is far worse in terms of production, but that doesn't bother me. It sounds a bit messy, but that adds to the great feeling of melancholy. The guitar doesn't sound as heavy as on the track by Arnstadt, they sound almost fragile. The drum parts are not that great, I find this the weak spot in this song. The vocals represent utter desperation, sadly, they are typical to this subgenre. I must also add that this song has an amazing outro, which leaves you behind with this empty feeling in your chest.

This is a great album overall, it was my introduction to Arnstadt and to Sombre Chemin, and after listening to it, I want to buy all of their releases. Recommended!