Slayer goes punk - 75%

skolnick, February 7th, 2003

So, Slayer went punk. Well...almost punk, as I think that this one is what we should call a thrash/punk fusion. These punk covers were the material that clearly influenced Slayer in their beginnings and over the years that came. Hearing something from them like "Show no Mercy" clearly tells us that Slayer sound was a mixture between the NWOBHM technical riffage and the punk rock speed and attitude.
Cash grabber?? Well, I don't think so...why would then Slayer put out an album with some punk covers (not very similar to their style) instead of another "Divine Intervention" or a compilation that would make them and their money hungry filthy managers and record companies gain some more $$$$? But, although this not being a cash grabber, it's definitively not an album for all Slayer fans...This one can be dangerous to hear by some of them, still, is a very energetic album and it's capable of making you spend a pretty enjoyable hour by listening to it.

We cant call this a perfectly produced album...by the sound, and although not being totally produced by Rick Rubin, you immediately notice that this is Slayer...It's not a bad mixture or sound, I just think those guitars weren't sharped enough at that time and that drum sound should've been a little different in the end, but...if you like the though, raw and rough Slayer, then this is perfect album for you.

It's really an interesting effort, and I would say that the highlights of this one are "Disintegration/Free Money", "Guilty of Being White", "Filler/I don't want to hear it", "Mr. Freeze" and "Violent Pacification"...

This album also has some interesting details that every hardcore Slayer fan should know...there are two songs here that Jeff Hanneman composed himself in 1985 for a "never came to be born" speed/punk project apart from Slayer...Those songs are, the incredibly fast and hyperactive, almost mind blowing "Can't Stand You" (fuck...I cannot understand how Tom Araya could be screaming that way...MAD!!!) and "Ddamn", really a punk rock attitude song mixing some metal riffs in 1 min (!!!).
The other detail is the fact that this record has extras and some really good ones..."Gemini" is an original song written by Kerry King and with some cool lyrics by Tom Araya. The only total metal number on this record and some of the most sinister Slayer stuff they've ever made.

Well, let’s put this in some more accessible terms. "Diabolus in Musica" fans, get this because although being a almost, kind of 80% punk record still has some similar sound to Slayer's 1998 record and I think you'll like it..."Diabolus" haters...if you are interested in this one, get it...if you are not interested, forget about it...

As I said, not a Slayer album for all Slayer fans but in the end, it still manages to sound good.