Some good stuff here - 90%

McTague97, November 27th, 2014

It occurs to me I did not give this song the right amount of credit when I wrote the album review as I continually repeated that Raining Blood, Criminally Insane and Angel of Death were the 3 classics the album had to offer. This belongs amonst the classics. A mistake on my part.

This begins with a really powerful, draamtic and slowish riff that will introduce the song. The song starts mid tempo across all instruments after this. As the song progresses everything speeds up with it. This gives it a far more shocking vibe as it builds up to be a truly devastating monster across the board.

The vocals begin with a slow haunting type of singing that gradually grows in power and speed until it ends with Araya spitting out the lyrics at an insane speed. This helps to emphasize the lyrical matter. Did I mention all the instruments speed up together which saves me having to write a paragraph about each of them as they stick to each other very closely. The drums pound, the guitars play some break neck riffs, the bass takes its usual duty of rounding it all out.

The opening riff is just a piece of work, heavy enough to push a spike through your head but catchy, yes that's right catchy. This opening will dig its way into the deepest parts of your mind and burrow in to make sure you never forget it. That's an unexpected trick for Slayer to use at this point in their career but it worked out beautifully for them.

There are two other tracks that can be found here, I don't want to get into them much because I already reviewed these same two tracks on the Criminally Insane single/EP. In case you weren't aware that EP was two tracks that could already be found here. Let's just say I didn't feel they were worth spending money on. Read that review for details as to why.

Sheer Brilliance - 92%

iheartbbirks, April 7th, 2011

For saying that i am a huge Slayer fan, and therefore should not really have a favourite single they have released, this one comes mighty close. This song may as well be progressive metal-listen to the intro compared to the finish.

The bass to this song is fantastic. Tom Araya is a near perfect bassist, and this song just shows it. His vocal performance is one of his best, from the slow, haunting singing in the first half of the song to the hundred miles per hour spitting towards the end.

The guitar duo, Kerry King and Jeff, are absolutely spectacular on this song, not wasting time on tuneless solo, but focussing on the riffing, which is what matters.

The drumming is by far Dave Lombardo's finest hour. This drum piece is spectacular.

Overall, this is a single that should not be missed out on. I recommend it to everybody, as it progresses incredibly from slow sections to the heavy section at the end.