Where were the parents? - 35%

ksevile, September 30th, 2009

"Hate Worldwide is currently one of the three songs that the thrash metal band Slayer has recently unveiled for there 11th studio release titled "World Painted Blood". From the likes of this song, this entire album is more than likely going to be an epic failure of a comeback for yet another influential and legendary band.

Slayer is one of the few thrash metal acts that has (almost) consistently stayed with their genre over all these years. Yes, this song, along with the title track and "Psychopathy Red", possesses the characteristics and qualities of thrash. The only real problem is the monotonous production combined with the tone and atmosphere of everything. This "style" they've adopted this time around is more like a copy of Metallica when they decided to release the pile of garbage that is "Saint Anger". I'm not saying "World Painted Blood" IS going to be an instant failure, but with a track like this, Slayer certainly is leaving their fans behind.

Araya's vocals have certainly changed or "progressed" over the years and it is extremely evident, to the fullest extent, in this song. He has lost much of the command and anger he had in earlier records like "Hell Awaits" and "Reign in Blood". Lombardo's drums are possibly the only part of the track that isn't completely lackluster and disappointing. Sure, he's not playing at his average speed, but this is accounted for with his precision and consistency. Even to this day, he plays the double bass with great skill. He's certainly the best thrash drummer presently out of the other "Big 4 of thrash".

Kerry King and Hanneman have for us yet another one (or two) of their solos. They are just the same as their past solos. Some would say they have originality, because they are perhaps the only band who possesses those types of solos. Even now, they haven't gotten any better and they are still repetitive. They've opted for an obvious alternate approach this time around with riffs, however. Here they are barely pushing the limits Slayer was once known themselves for breaking. While I appreciate the diversity and experimentation on their part, Slayer just isn't the band they were back in the day.

So "Hate Worldwide" is certainly a song that isn't going to get any eye raises from any thrash fans anytime soon, or any time in the near future for that matter. Slayer should certainly consider going back to their roots if they want to have any chance of keeping their fans (or any fans at all). This track, in itself, is not only one that lacks originality, but also one that lacks the "passion" Slayer formerly put into every song and album.

This sucks - 37%

Visionary, September 21st, 2009

After the rather average Christ Illusion I really didn’t have much hope for Slayer. This single affirms my belief that World Painted Blood is going to suck. This song shows that Slayer is trying to go back to what they did in their glory days, yet retain some modern elements. The result is a pretty poor one. There really is never any point of listening to this song, knowing in the back of your head that you could be listening to any of Slayer’s first 5 albums and get a lot more enjoyment.

The production just plain sucks. It is hard to hear anything over the damn trash can drums. Please don’t tell me this is going to be another St. Anger. The solos sound typical Slayer but a bit awkward and second rate ones compared to their glory days. Tom’s voice is a noticeable improvement over Christ Illusion but it still sounds like he is trying to be angry and pissed off in the manner that he was on the early material without the ability to do it effectively anymore. His voice just sounds watered down and weak compared to what it once was. The guitars are far back in the mix compared to the snare and the vocals so are not heard very well. The riffs just chug along somewhere between groove and thrash territory and are pretty darn boring. A damn shame as the crunchy guitar riffs is what helped Slayer into becoming one of the best thrash bands of the 80s. The leads can be heard a bit better when they come into play and sound pretty good but is not enough to make up for all the bad things going on.

So yeah this is all there is to it. Just stay happy knowing that their first 5 albums are all great. Keep spinning them instead of wasting your time listening to their new material.

I think Slayer might be back in business! - 75%

paranj, August 10th, 2009

Slayer has been a very important band in the metal scene. Apart from being my favourite band of all time, they have influenced a truck load of other emerging thrash bands. Slayer have released one of the best thrash albums (read Reign in Blood, Show no Mercy and Hell Awaits). After a few years, they started to go downhill. Their quality took a nose-dive and from a thrash band, they turned to what I like to call, a 'pussy metal' band. The have dissapointed me a lot with their last few albums but I had still not lost hope in them. I heard about a new album soon to be released named 'World Painted Red'. As expected, I was pretty excited. Then came out this single and I got it as soon as I can.

I must say that I am impressed. The song is more like the old Slayer, brutal and in your face! Sure, the excellent song-writing is missing and they have chosen to adapt more 'modern' song-structures but that dosen't take away from the aggression this song projects. Let's start off with Araya's vocals. He has lost a certain amount of aggression but is still pretty much in business. His screams spew total hatred and have a lot of feeling (of hate) in them. His bass is low in the mix but is quite decent and get's the job done.

Now to Kerry and Jeff. The riffs are fast, brutal, catchy and aggressive as well as memorable and head-bangable. The riffs are not too technical, but hey, when was Slayer known for technical riffs! The solos are the same old Slayer, random fret wankery. Yeah, even I hate them, especially the second solo which is a bit elongated. Overall, the guitaring is nice but they should seriously think about stopping with the random fret solos. Dave's drumming is fast, consistent and tight. He hasn't lost a bit of his old self. He still blasts his drum set to oblivion. I have been a big fan of him and though there are certain drummers who out-do him (*cough* Gene Hoglan *cough*), he is still one of the best.

Really, this song can be stated as the 'come-back' of Slayer. I am really expecting a lot from the new album and I hope that it dosen't let me down. I really loved this song and I hope the new album would be as thrashy as this!

It's a Hot Topic exclusive, that can't be good - 48%

MercyfulSatyr, July 30th, 2009

While a far cry from good, the newest Slayer song is at least better than the preceding two and a half minutes of incessant boredom. “Psychopathy Red” was an almost entirely lame piece of crap that actually managed to be even more derivative than the whole of Christ Illusion. It appears, judging from this and the previous song, that Slayer’s new album will not be anything mind-blowing or even worth listening to.

Slayer seems to have developed a tendency to come up with the dumbest names for all their new material. From the album (World Painted Blood) to this single’s title, the band apparently has jumped on the bandwagon of poorly named “comebacks,” sharing with Metallica and several other nearly worthless bands. The lyrics are typically retarded for this point in Slayer’s career, and though they’ve never been known for particularly insightful lyricism, they’ve done quite a lot better than this. Just like “Psychopathy Red,” they have also decided to return to the stripped-down song lengths of Reign in Blood, to a much lesser effect. While that album’s short songs worked because of their mind-bending speeds and mercenary aggression, the new tracks just plod along in their only moderately fast pace, not really going anywhere and tending to stagnate very quickly.

The thing that makes “Hate Worldwide” better than the previous is the vocal restraint. Considering Araya’s loss of strength in his voice, not attempting to scream and rather shouting the lyrics mid-range has the effect of making the song slightly less annoying. The guitar riffs still lack any kind of lasting effect, as do the repetitive and mediocre solos, and remnants of Slayer’s insipid groove phase remain in the chorus as the guitars slowly chug along on a single note underneath Araya’s half-thrash vocal patterns. Despite its increased presence on “Psychopathy Red,” the bass is once again nonexistent. Meanwhile, the drumming is, though standard, quite decent and probably the least offensive instrument at work. The end of the song is really the only interesting part, as it cuts off unexpectedly. However, even though it’s somewhat cool, it still leaves a feeling of expectancy and want in its wake.

Slayer has caught the retro-thrash virus – that is, an inescapable derivation from thrash’s glory days, castrated and watered-down, paired with a sense of redundancy and mediocrity. The band has become a shadow, a self-parody of its former stature, and like all bad thrash rip-offs, “Hate Worldwide” belongs in the trash heap.