Slayer's version of St Anger - 10%

WilliamAcerfeltd, January 24th, 2007

Before I can review this album, I believe it is necessary to give you some background on how I came to listen to this album. The year was 2004 and I was just stopping to listen to mallcore. At the time a band which was receiving much kudos was Slayer. I had listened to a few songs and thought they were OK. I then decided I'd ask my friend if I could burrow a Slayer album, to see if I liked them or not. He gave me this...

...and does it blow or what? In its entirety, the album has one and a half good songs. That's right one and a half. The good song is Disciple. This song is an awesome thrash song which features blood curdling screams, fast and aggressive riffing and fast and interesting drumming. Needless to say, it is easily the best song on the album.

New Faith is a song which is the song which is half good and half total shit. For the first minute and a half, the song seems like it's going to be good, but then the music stops and Araya starts screaming. When the music starts up again Araya's voice starts to strain and the vocals REALLY start to become annoying. The drumming becomes boring and slow and the riffs become shitty and boring, in vein with bands such as Slipknot.

As for the rest of the album, it just flat out sucks. Araya's vocals are straining (perhaps he was getting a little bit too old for this sort of thing...) the drumming is really boring and there is no flares of skill which might captivate the listener. The guitars also suck, as implied before, the riffs throughout the most part of the album sound as if a member from a mallcore band decided to compose the riffs and as we all know, mallcore sucks by default. So it's not surprising that the riffs bored the shit out of me.

I think the lyrics are easily the lamest part of the album. I mean c,mon how sad and lame are lyrics like:
"Despair, emptiness
Isolation rapes you everyday
Face down taste the dust, digging deeper in your grave
Haven't found a reason
Haven't found a thing to fucking live for
Godless he doesn't care
How you choose to destroy yourself
In a world that feeds on hate
You're left here just to waste away
In your cardboard prison, asphalt wasteland "

and

"Pessimist, Terrorist targeting the next mark
Global chaos feeding on hysteria
Cut throat, slit your wrist, shoot you in the back fair game
Drug abuse, self abuse searching for the next high
Sounds a lot like hell is spreading all the time
I'm waiting for the day the whole world fucking dies"

...OK...That sort of puts me in the mind frame of when you get into an argument with a little kid and just to bombard you with insults, so in the end it really is just a slur and furry of cussing. Again this is similar to mallcore.

All in all this album sucks. The only redeeming factor on this album was Disciple and even then the lyrics were incredibly lame and stupid. So if you can get past that then you might be interested in downloading that song. While this album is not as bad as St Anger, it's not far off it. Don't waste your money or time with it.

Good Points:
Heavy songs with good production...

Bad Points:
...but what's the point if the majority of the songs suck?
LAME mallcore lyrics
Horrible song writing for the most part
Strained and sometimes even annoying vocals