A decent return.. - 70%

Shenmoo, June 7th, 2006

It all depends on what you expected it to be. No, it's not "faster than ever", no it's not a return to Reign in Blood, but hey, at least it's not Diabolus in Musica or God Hates Us All.

Personally, I expected absolute shit. I think it was due to the fact that the EP is only being released to Hot Topic stores, or maybe it was due to the fact that Slayer has been touring with shitty mallcore bands like Shitknot, or maybe it was due to the downward spiral that Slayer have thrown themselves into by trying to appeal to mallgoths in the first place. But I digress, I think the reason why I don't hate this song like many others have is because it turned out better than I expected.

Some parts of the song sound like Slayer, other parts just don't seem to convince me. The intro to the song seems like an attempt to sound creepy, I don't exactly know what it's supposed to be, all I know is that it sounds familiar to something off a Korn album. After this though a familiar Slayer type intro starts, it's simple and short however and doesn't progress into anything better, but rather, into something much worse. It progresses into a Korn-style "breakdown" (the main "breakdown" of this song apparently), rather than being a Thrash-style breakdown in which it gets faster or harder, it goes mallcore style in which it gets slower, simpler, and lower. Sounds a lot like Korn. But to be fair, at the start after this slow "breakdown" the Thrash part kicks in to start the verse. The best part about it are the drums (hell, the drums are really the best thing going on for this song), as for the riff itself, well, it sounds cool, even though its simple. Although after hearing the song for a while it might start to sound like something off Shitknot's third album. The chorus riff follows the same fate, although it's better than the verse riff. As for the solos, they're lazy, forgettable and random. In general though, the instruments arn't too bad, despite their simpleness. The problem is that after a while you get to notice a few small details that make them sound like a song written by a mallcore band. But even though it's simple, it's not as crappy and boring as their 2 previous albums, it's definitely more catchy too. It's not as good as anything before that though. But who knows, maybe they're saving the best for last. Maybe the album will turn out even better.

But anyways, on to the vocals and lyrics, the lyrics are pretty stupid, but at least not as retarded as the ones in God Hates Us All. The lyrics seem like they're written by a "mature" 17 year old liberal mall goth child ranting about how much he hates religion and how much religion is all about violence and rape and torture and blah blah blah. I think the funniest part was near the end when he says Jesus is holding a trigger to your head, or something like that. The other really funny thing about it is when he screams "666!" every now and then, it reminds me of those stupid people that send Varg Vikernes letters every day about how much they love and worship Satan. The vocals themselves don't sound too bad though, they just sound like the good old Araya vocals (without the high pitched screams), even though there are times when it sounds worn out. There are however, a few occassions where he tries to scream harder, but it just sounds annoying.

In the end, I guess one could say it seems as if the new album might sound most like Divine Intervention. The song is fun to listen to if you get past a few of its bad sides. It's an ok song I suppose. The main reason it gets a higher rating though is because its better than the 2 previous albums, other than the fact that the song itself is decent enough. Would I buy this single or the EP? No way. If you want to listen to Cult, just listen to it on http://www.slayer.net or download it somewhere. It's too early to say how the album will turn out, but download it first. Judging from this song, the album itself might be decent enough to buy, but at the same time, it might not be. Check out this song in the mean time. You might like it, you might hate it, you might think it's simply decent, but at least you'll satisfy your curiosity. One thing is for sure though, mallgoth kids are going to masturbate to this new album.