A majestic voyage through space - 93%

PhantomMullet, December 28th, 2011

If you want an excellent symphonic metal album with space-inspired themes embedded into the music, look no further, for Aeons of Magick really delivers! It's epic, adventurous, atmospheric, imaginative, and more. Aeons of Magick is one of the best symphonic black metal albums of the 90s because of its rich songwriting and ambitious performance.

Immediately as the album starts with "Sidereal Mirror", there is a grandiose symphonic opening filled with all sorts of different instruments. It's so powerful sounding and it feels like it's been conducted by a professional symphony - like something out of Vienna or New York. The opening kind of reminds me of a circus as it does appear a bit jovial, but definitely mature and sincere. The real awesomeness happens when the symphony intersects with the metal. This is an amazing transition that feels very natural. The guitars only come in lightly, but it's at the perfect frequency in the mixture. Gornoth's roars do a tremendous job at bridging the two main elements of metal and orchestras. He sounds a bit like Ihsahn from the early Emperor albums, but with better production around, it's quite a nice taste. It doesn't end there either, for the music remains ever captivating. The riffs are pretty memorable and are supplemented well by flutes, i believe, which are pretty present in the music.

Overall the music is very "big." I feel like so much is going on at once. A good example of this would be in "The Collapsing Spheres of Time". This track starts off incredibly aggressive but slowly builds up. It reminds me a great big battle that's about to commence in space. There's so much tension in the atmosphere and the music itself feels so cinematic. I feel like I'm watching Star Wars whenever this track plays on. For a track that's nearly nine minutes, I'm definitely at the edge of my seat each time I listen to this. It's that powerful. The title track is no slouch either - the band really capitalizes on those grandiose symphonies that slur noticeably on top of the riffs. The second half of this track seems very experimental with the symphonic parts and again, feels very cinematic. For some reason, the title track reminds me of some old Sci Fi movie about space exploration (Star Trek maybe?).

The only reason I'm not giving Aeons of Magick a higher score is that the two symphony-based instrumentals don't really do much for me. Sure, they're very professionally done and serve as good breaks between the metal tracks, but other than that, they aren't particularly hooking to me. They still sound pretty grand, but I personally have just skipped them most of the time. Others may disagree because it could be something I'm missing - after all, there isn't anything wrong with them . Be that as it may, Aeons of Magick is one of the best symphonic metal albums you can ever come across. Fans of the symphonic or space metal genres will no doubt eat this up, but even if you never cared for this type of music in the past, this album is still a high quality piece of work and Sirius should only be commended immensely for their efforts.

A Galactic Anthem that will Echo for Eternity. - 100%

infernalhellstorm, March 23rd, 2005

Sirius: the brightest star seen in the nightsky. This band was one of the most promising bands I have ever encountered. The first time I heard this release, I fell out of my chair in utter amazement. Aeons of Magick is exactly what its called: A perpetual journey at lightspeed across the galaxy. This is Dark and Magical music, brutal and delicate at the same time. There is nothing human or intrinsic about this album. The riffs on this album are not as memorable as those of this band's early influence Emperor, but it is still a very complete composition. Structurally, this album contains no flaws. The songs are composed with a mastery of musical knowledge. This music is not for amateurs and it is layered ever so intricatly to the point where there seems that the music clashes with total chaos and yet still holds it's stability. I am not going to sit here and analyze this album song by song because I believe its not something to be analyzed. This music is was created for 1 purpose, to deliver the esscence that something greater exists in the universe that humanity will never encounter. (That was in no way at all a religious statement). I suggest you begin this Album from track 4, an instrumental piece called The Stargate, which starts off almost like a Wagner composition. Let the instrumental finish and it will flow into the next song, Travellers of the Stellar Ocean. This is the most appropriate introduction to one of the best and most shortlived bands, only released 2 albums before splitting up. The production is good, it better be good if they flew all the way to Norway to record this epic. Its been 4 years since anyone has heard anything about Sirius. What a mark they made.

Into another dimension! - 91%

Silmaril, May 24th, 2003

This is an album which might not be enjoyed by many black metal fans. First of all, it features probably too many keyboards to please a big black metal fan, and also I read some critics to this album pointing out stuff like "Black metal is about being evil!" and things like that, as far as I'm concerned, this album is excellent and one of my favourites.
The album starts with Sidereal Mirror, which is probably the easier-to-listen song of the metal bunch in this album, the first 35 seconds are dominated by majestic keyboards which I imagine will probably sound incredible if you have giant speakers and a full surround sound set (or whatever they're called). Then the guitars and drums kick in. The production gives a strong emphasis on the keyboards, leaving the guitars and drums a little forgotten while the melodies are driven by the keys. This may sound bad to some people, but believe me, it is an awesome album!The speed is most of the time very high, the guitar sound is somewhat distorted and the drums are very fast, while the vocals aren't as 'demonic' to be considered 'oure black metal vocals', what I mean by this is, Sirius' vocalist Gornoth is no Ihsahn. And speaking of Ihsahn, this album was produced by Samoth at his Nocturnal Art label, which explains why there's a certain Emperor and Limbonic Art feeling.
The next two songs are Collapsing Spheres of Time and Ethereal Flames of Chaos, which are similar to the first song, with their over the top keyboards, but the second and third songs give slightly more emphasis on the guitar sound.
Then the fourth track will surprise you, "The Stargate" is a 100% keyboard song which will imediatly pop in your head images of galaxies and dimensional portals. I like to consider it an anthem to Cosmos!
Tracks #5 and #6 return to 'normal', although track #5 starts off a little easier in a crescendo which starts with keys, then adds guitars, then drums, then more keys, and finally the vocals. The title-track starts bombastically, immediatly when you listen to the first second the guitars, drums, keys and vocals are at full speed and stregth! This song has several tempo and sound variations, occasionaly the keyboard becomes the real factor, and around the middle of the track, for about 1 minute, the keyboard becomes the only instrument. The final 2 minutes sel off this track in a triumphant way.
Finally, track #7, Beyond the Scarlet Horizon, is another instrumental track, 100% keyboard-made, which without the majesty of "The Stragate", evokes sorrow and sadness, at the same time that it gives a certain hopeful feeling, it's a quite beautiful track in my opinion.
As for the faults of this album, well, sometimes the production could have been slightly better in handling the guitar and drums, also you get a slight feeling of finding all the metal tracks a little too similar to each other.
Pure raw black metal fans will probably hate this album, so I wouldn't recommend it to you, to all others and also those people interested in astral themes, I'd recommend you to do some downloads of this album and after hearing it for a while you might start to enjoy it!