© 2002-2015

Horror Tales about Vampires in Swedish interpreta - 75%

flowergatherer, April 29th, 2006

Siebenburgen is a good example of a band that managed to unleash a great debut album but failed to develop in the right direction.
Each of their follow-ups was weaker and duller then the previous one when normally it should be vice versa.

Speaking about Loreia, it`s very good atmospheric black with borrowings from folk and doom metal. Mostly it`s fast with memorable folky melodies and good thick guitarwork. All music is in traditional Nordic vein with occasional elements of doom and slow parts are also present. Drumming is very precise. Songs are very compact and range within 4-5 minutes length. That`s really the key-feature of this album`s novelty. Siebenburgen`s music isn`t very diverse but this perfect duration only serves them right. They do not get dull. Unfortunately already on Grimjaur they had lengthy songs with a shortage of riffs. Later they got even lengthier and thus hammering the final nail into their unholy casket.

Another highlight is a female vocalist. She has a pretty unusual voice and can use it well. It has a kind of shamanic eerie feeling to it. As they didn`t use synths on the album she perfectly replaced them with her voice and incorporated cello parts on the album as well. Marcus Ehlin`s voice is less spectacular, just normal black vocals, but thanks to the use of Swedish it still holds attention.

As you probably already guessed Siebenburgen`s lyrics are devoted to vampires and other dark stuff. Each song is a small dark fairy-tale or story.
Not knowing Swedish i can`t judge about their verses, but can state that both vocalists do try to sound convincing and dramatic like actors staging a kind of a horror play.

Loreia was like a breath of fresh air into already-beginning-to-get-commercialized black metal scene. Maybe it was slightly overdue but nevertheless it can easily rival with many good albums of the past. Anyway it`s a rather invigorating look-back upon the time when art meant much more than money.

Excellent vampiric-metal - 96%

Hygdahl, July 17th, 2003

Whenever I come to think of vampires or vampiricism, two things come to my mind. The first one is Interview with a Vampire, and the other one is this album. It was one of my first "black metal" albums, and still one of my favourites. The first track, 'vampiria', is still my favorite songs in all cathergories, it has everything you can ask of. The title track is almost as good as the first, but I think it's missing the last touch before release.
Rosdahl's drumplay is altrough very good, and it matches perfect with Folkare's guitars and Waldehaug's female vocals. Ehlin's growls are good aswell.
The only matter that keeps me from giving Loreia 100 points is the order of the tracks. Siebenbürgen burn off all the best tracks in the first half of the album, leaving 'minute-killers' in the end. Those are not bad tracks, but just sounds just like the first ones.
Anyhow, this is a very good album, and I recommend anyone with at least a bit of taste to buy this album.