Sepultura in top form! - 90%

overkill67, December 24th, 2004

Very good home vid. Although I'll always remember this band as being the Brazilian thrash mongrel that was once fronted by Max Cavalera, its been almost a decade now that he's split and neither him nor his former bandmates have been able to accomplish anything that even remotely resembles greatness.
This video did however manage to capture Sepultura back in their glory days when their roster of songs was all meat and no filler. The set list that is utilized during this show is absolutely awesome and will certainly appeal to all the old school Sepultura fans of the late eighties and early nineties.
One thing that I must mention is some of the changes that have been made to certain parts of the songs. Changes for the better I might add. Check out the way the band shred's through the intro to Escape to the Void, matched by the double bass patern that Igor puts to use. Far better than what is heard on Schizophrenia.
There are also some unintentionally humorous moments, like during the intro to Hypnosis, Max tries to entice the crowd by getting them to chant in broken english...mass hippie noses. Sorry no apologies, I find that kinda funny. As far as the lighting is concerned, its generic at best and nothing spectacular is derived from the lighting. Certainly very little thematic elements seem to be prevalent.
The sound quality is excellent, and the if you buy this baby on DVD, then you even get the option for surround sound 5.1.
The only real let down as far as I'm concerned is the lack of accuracy on Andreas' part when it comes to the solos, he does do a decent job however, he gives this video the Glen Tipton syndrome, which basically means if you can't pull it off live, then don't put it on an album.
With that one slight pitfall aside though, this video is rather entertaining, and some of the interviews with the band members between the songs is very interesting, in which they discuss some of the bands history as well as the hardships that are endured living on streets and growing up in Brazil.