Sepultura captured in its Moment of Glory - 100%

romvilla, October 16th, 2014
Written based on this version: 1992, VHS, Roadrunner Records

I must admit that when I first bought this video at a store in Los Angeles, CA back then in 1992, I knew that I was getting a hold to a masterpiece. This band had caught my attention and had changed my lifestyle in the late 80’s that with my never ending listening to it, I had to get a physical video of them and this video was it!

This is an excellent home video that captures the moment at when Sepultura was at its rise to glory and fame. It is fronted by Max Cavalera (ex-Sepultura) and also includes their previous drummer Igor Cavalera (brother to Max) along with Andreas Kisser and Paulo Jr. But it is not just a music video with live songs in Barcelona, it has important documentary to it. Each member of the “old Sepultura” lineup comments about his experience with the band in interview. They explain what it was to overcome the hardships in Belo Horizonte, Brazil while growing up. There are several humorous moments mainly at the end that make this video a memorable one.

It is just amazing how Sepultura provides us with a great set list of songs in this video. It is a compilation of their best songs leading up to and including its Arise album. The video is packed with a powerful punch of thrash/death metal from beginning to the end!

The video kicks off with an interesting initial intro that leads to the powerful fast drumming song “Arise” as the first song in the list. Next is my most favorite song “Desperate Cry”. Another song of the Arise album, but this one starts off with commanding acoustics and later electrifies in intensity while still keeping the heavy thrashing that keeps you dominated and controlled in the Sepultura realm.

The music pauses for a while to give way to the band members to comment on their experiences of being with the band and to explain on what it is to live in Brazil. “Dead Embryonic Cells” follows. This song is also high energy packed with changing riffs and fast paced drumming to keep the viewer/listener still entertained. Then “Mass Hypnosis”, a song from their previous album Beneath The Remains, kicks in with Max displaying tremendous vocal strength and ability. Without any doubt this is a killer song too.

After a brief documentary pause “Altered State” follows up and with its shining blast as the lyrics say convinces anybody that this song kicks-ass to the extreme. It is an excellent thrash song and a favorite of mine too with amazing riffs and energetic drumming. Sepultura then shows off its continued brutal thrashing strength with “Inner Self”, yet another song from the Arise album - how awesome!!!

By now you definitely feel that this video does not suffer from any unnecessary songs or boring parts. “Escape to The Void”, “Troops of Doom” and the prominent “Beneath the Remains” display just how much strength Sepultura had garnered even before getting to its Arise album.

The video closes off with its last song “Orgasmatron”. The huge Barcelona crowd as you can see had been satisfied and strength-lifted. And to leave its impact here Sepultura leaves us with some humorous images and exhibit of Brazilian soccer talent. So if you don’t own this VHS video like I do, then you must YouTube this album.

With all much said, I must finally say this video is flawless and very entertaining. It is a without any doubt a gem to all collectors of Sepultura’s music and videos.

Sepultura in top form! - 90%

overkill67, December 24th, 2004

Very good home vid. Although I'll always remember this band as being the Brazilian thrash mongrel that was once fronted by Max Cavalera, its been almost a decade now that he's split and neither him nor his former bandmates have been able to accomplish anything that even remotely resembles greatness.
This video did however manage to capture Sepultura back in their glory days when their roster of songs was all meat and no filler. The set list that is utilized during this show is absolutely awesome and will certainly appeal to all the old school Sepultura fans of the late eighties and early nineties.
One thing that I must mention is some of the changes that have been made to certain parts of the songs. Changes for the better I might add. Check out the way the band shred's through the intro to Escape to the Void, matched by the double bass patern that Igor puts to use. Far better than what is heard on Schizophrenia.
There are also some unintentionally humorous moments, like during the intro to Hypnosis, Max tries to entice the crowd by getting them to chant in broken english...mass hippie noses. Sorry no apologies, I find that kinda funny. As far as the lighting is concerned, its generic at best and nothing spectacular is derived from the lighting. Certainly very little thematic elements seem to be prevalent.
The sound quality is excellent, and the if you buy this baby on DVD, then you even get the option for surround sound 5.1.
The only real let down as far as I'm concerned is the lack of accuracy on Andreas' part when it comes to the solos, he does do a decent job however, he gives this video the Glen Tipton syndrome, which basically means if you can't pull it off live, then don't put it on an album.
With that one slight pitfall aside though, this video is rather entertaining, and some of the interviews with the band members between the songs is very interesting, in which they discuss some of the bands history as well as the hardships that are endured living on streets and growing up in Brazil.