Steep decline - 20%

Cosmic_Equilibrium, August 28th, 2014
Written based on this version: 1996, CD, Roadrunner Records

What the.....? I mean, WHAT THE...?

The previous album, Chaos AD, was a great album. Unlike some people, I'm not annoyed by the fact Sepultura changed their sound for that record - it worked. They produced a great, modern metal album with some thought-provoking lyrics and a real sense of driving, righteous anger and standing up to injustice. The tribal sounds that were introduced on a few tracks were good, lending texture and variety to the record. Overall, they made a classic of early 90s heavy music.

So for their next album Roots, they decided to keep evolving, and among other things they retained the tribal sounds and vibes. Roots features a fair amount of the tribal drumming that was present on songs like Kaiowas, and also features some traditional Brazilian instruments [the intro of "Attitude"]. The band even ventured into the jungle to record with a native Brazilian tribe ["Itsari"]. They delved into the native musical sounds and traditions of their own country, and worked them into the album. Which is fine. The tribal sounds are interesting and lend some welcome texture to the record. It's just that the music Sepultura play on here is mostly awful nu-metal.

Opener "Roots Bloody Roots" is by far the best song on the album. Despite being buried in a nasty, Korn-esque guitar tone, it's still an absolute monster of a song and is deservedly a live favourite. The percussion is heavy and worked in to the music quite well, and as a cathartic roar of rage it serves its purpose. However things go rapidly downhill from then on in. "Attitude" is kind of a half-song. It's not really got much drive to it but just seems to rage about aimlessly, in a kind of pointless, bitter way. It feels like a demo that the band forgot about. The rest of the album fails to improve. "Rattamahatta" features Carlinhos Brown on percussion and has a nice groove for a while, but then Max steps in and starts doing odd vocal lines in the chorus which just don't sound good. As the record drags on and on, it becomes increasingly claustrophobic. Good riffs are few and far between, and a lot of the songs just sit there, not really doing much.

Some respite comes through the gloom with "Spit" which at least has some kind of oomph to it and an anthemic chorus, but after that it's back to the Korn style downtuned guitars, two-note riffs and no hooks or exciting moments. "Lookaway" features Jon Davis in a guest spot, as well as Mike Patton [why did Patton get involved with such mediocre product?], and it's an absolute nadir, or maybe the low point is "Dusted" with an unbelievably bad, lame riff which just sounds completely flat and uninspired. And so it drags on and on, until the closing "Dictatorshit" a two-minute punkish blast with some very simplistic and obvious lyrics.

What happened here? The get angry and fight vibe of Chaos AD has been replaced with an atmosphere of "we're being wiped out, we'll go down, this is an outrage but we're probably screwed" which doesn't make for a very inspiring listen. The whole record doesn't sound defiant, it sounds desperate, frightened, despairing. I mentioned the general claustrophobia of the record earlier - listening to this album is like going on an expedition into the jungle and getting hopelessly lost in the trees with no idea how to find one's way out. The whole vibe of the record is like that and it's not a happy or rewarding or invigorating listen, just dreary and oppressive. The terrible production job by Ross Robinson doesn't help in this regard either, awful guitar tones, weak sounding instruments, everything sounds muddy and crap, which is I guess what you will get from hiring the man who was behind the mixing desk for Korn's albums.

The main problem around this era is that Max Cavalera seems to have had some kind of breakdown. Look at him during the Chaos AD years, then onstage around 1996, and he seems a completely different person. Taking cues from Jon Davis, hanging out with nu-metal bands, changing his image and most of all seemingly letting his songwriting skills degenerate rapidly into a mess of Korn riffs and simplistic lyrics. I have no idea what caused this but the change is alarming, and it's reflected in this absolute mess of an album, lacking ideas, energy, and songwriting in general. It's always sad to see a great band go into decline, it's even more shocking when that decline happens in under three years. An abysmal, claustrophobic and depressing record.

Yeah, well, it's different... - 79%

LeMiserable, July 23rd, 2014
Written based on this version: 1996, CD, Roadrunner Records

Ahh...Roots. Quite possibly the most hated Sepultura album in existence. Bashed for a multitude of reasons which are all fully understandable, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. It's true, Roots is one of the dumbest-sounding albums ever, but it really has quite a few things that make it pretty good. Anyone reading this review, you remember when Sepultura played thrash? Those times are long gone, Roots is barely even metal, let alone thrash metal. No, instead this album has been a major force in the faux metal genre that is nu-metal. One of the most hated "metal" genres around usually tied with deathcore. And if you listen to this album, the influences are noticeable, the guitars are heavily distorted and thick, the bass is loud yet not very audible, the overall tempo is slow and sluggish, the drumming is simple and Max sounds even more dumb than on Chaos A.D. Looking at it like that this album is basically the ultimate nu-metal album right? I always get the impression Max weighed 150kg when he recorded this, because that's what he sounds like and what he makes the album sound like. Simply said, this album sounds really fat.

I usually don't laugh at artists expressing their opinions over their albums because I feel everyone's entitled to have their own opinion and view on things. But I've recently seen Andreas Kisser say the band were at their artistic peak when they created Roots. To put it lightly, I can't see it. There isn't a single element here in which this album is better than its predecessors other than sounding completely unique, even when playing a generic genre like nu-metal. In everything else it gets completely outshone by them. It's not exactly easy to hear any riffs here because the guitars are distorted beyond logical musical terms; the distortion is so constant you can barely hear a string being hit. The bass is like an additional layer of distortion, one can't really hear it all too well because the guitar kinda functions as its own bass. It's weird, because sometimes you can easily hear the bass, and the other time you can't really figure out if it's the guitar or the bass creating the thuds on the background.

Anyone who's heard Chaos A.D. knows that that album contains quite a bit of tribal influences. Well, Roots is basically build around that. The world music elements fill up 10-20% of the music here, and while that doesn't seem like much, it's a whole fucking lot; and if the high amount of influences aren't enough, most of them are pretty annoying as well. The lyrics took the biggest hit here, one could argue that the musicianship took a serious hit too, but that would be hypocritical because Chaos A.D. was already pretty dumb compared to what came before it. The lyrics are basically what makes nu-metal so painful to listen to, things like...:

"Grow Up In The Ghettos
Made Me Real
To Deal With My Fears
Muthafucker You Don't Understand
Pain And Hate"

...don't really seem that poetic. And on the album itself they sound as dumb as they look too. Max took on a typical nu-metal image because "fucker" has changed into "fucka" and all things alike. For someone who used to sing about dead embryonic cells this is really quite a few fucking steps back, but it really isn't all that bad. Apart from songs like "Lookaway" and "Endangered Species", it actually works quite well, regardless of how incredibly dumb it sounds. Some songs are even pretty good, for example; "Dusted", which is probably the best track of the whole album together with "Dictatorshit" which is homage to their early thrashy roots because this song is fast, aggressive, angry and brutal. And then you just have some of the songs which are just pretty good but nothing special, just decent. Also, non-songs such as "Jasco" and "Itsari" are actually pretty interesting to listen to, with the latter definitely being the most heavily tribal influenced song from the entire album.

This isn't the worst album from the entire Sepultura discography (Nation happily takes the cake) but it's certainly not the best either. You need a serious deficiency of brain cells to like this album more than Schizophrenia or Arise and any comment on this album's apparently "great musicianship" is nothing more than dick riding. I am definitely NOT a fan of nu-metal (or gnu-metal, a funny way people like to call it) but for some reason Sepultura made this work out pretty good, not that great, but not the abomination many see it as.

A middle finger to thrash and metal elitism. - 92%

imqa, September 12th, 2012

After reading several reviews of this album (both positive ones and negative ones) I can conclude that several things of this release are quite overlook. Be it repetitive riffs or lack of virtuoso soloing or conventional "metalness" if you will, this does not take away from the sound at all. This album is indeed overwhelmingly metal.

If you are indifferent about sounds from other countries, be it the folk music of those nations or the tribal music of those nations, stay away from this album at all costs. Obviously you're gonna get the sound of Sepultura's origin. And goddamn is it a great sound. Sepultura explicitly mark their territory when it comes to the uniqueness of their brand in metal. What's definitely one of the best aspects of this album is the percussion. Igor Cavalera did an exceptionally superb job with his percussive delivery and the combination of tribal percussive instruments along with his own drum kit. "Roots Bloody Roots", "Rattamahatta", "Breed Apart", and "Attitude" are among the greatest percussive tracks of this album. If you're a drummer and you enjoy multiple brands of metal, never hesitate in buying this album or listening to it anyway you can.

Andreas Kisser's soloing or exceptional guitar work does not exactly become a focus or an outstanding aspect of this release but it is definitely consistent and it blends well with the rest of the album's sound. Yes, while Max's lyrics aren't optimal, his vocal delivery impresses regardless. "Jasco" is definitely a track where Andreas' guitar playing stands out the most. It is definitely a song that stands out and gives a nice extra acoustic flavor to the album.

Something that I really loved, being a bassist, is the production of this album. The bass is pretty damn loud! this really made the album all the more enjoyable for me. "Lookaway" for me is the with the best bass groove in it. Ross Robinson as well as the rest of the staff involving the album's production definitely deserve a thumbs up.

Something that I found absolutely laughable was the way that so many complained about this album being "nu-metal" influenced. From what I hear, Max didn't quite write douchebaggy lyrics and not every track in this album had turntables other than "lookaway". Sure, you can definitely see some korn influence when you talk about the downtuning, but damn it's nowhere near being a important focus of the album. The percussion is definitely much more of a focus in this album rather than any nu-metal or metal specific influence. This album takes a little bit of everything and pretty much combines it with Sepultura's roots.

Overall: An underrated album among thrashers and extreme metal fans. Definitely deserves different perspectives and extra listens.

Brazilians Need To Ban This - 5%

OzzyApu, August 16th, 2012

This album is incredibly hard to sit through for even one song. The mixture of tribal percussion, angsty harsh yelling, groove-laced riffs, jumpdafuckup rhythms, and tough-guy attitude culminates in one of the worst assaults on the ears ever created. It's such a bad combination of the worst nu-metal posturing and least appealing type of metal aggression. On the other end of the album there's the worst execution of tribal elements on a metal album (even with a concluding track to sum up the band's wasted ambition). Sepultura's movement away from the realm of heavy metal left this shitstain - Roots - an overly long, super repetitive, ridiculously boring, and pathetically retarded musical product.

Everyone sucks, from the band members to the accomplices that helped create such a whirlwind of muddy, monotonous songs. "Roots Bloody Roots" - a vanguard that represents the fat, polished grime defining almost every song thereafter - kicks off such an unnecessarily long album. There's no point in having this many tracks of mostly the exact same bland, coarse guitar tone messing with the same downtuned riffs in different variations. Under all of them is this backwash bass guitar tone that's massive. It serves not to play anything memorable (this album is devoid of competent riffs or solos), but to add a heavy layering. Everything is clear and fat like any modern album today would strive to be, so such bass support would work out. Despite a need to nail this particular sound so badly, the album causes this support to backfire by sounding quirky and unorthodox at times as it shifts identities over and over.

Forget the fact that this album has moved away from metal and represents a Sepultura transitioning into other genres. Why in the hell does the music end up so poorly? Even by the standards of a nu-metal / rock album, Roots is an embarrassment. Nothing intellectual was required, but to have lackluster experimentation push simplistic, sterile riffs into the most lifeless of uninteresting proportions with asinine lyrics to back it up is a complete failure. Max's awful caveman yells going in and out of distortion saying the stupidest shit gets annoying, as does every bit of this album's duration. The other Cavalera and his drumming sounds fine tone-wise, but the plainness of the beats and fills is a far cry from the relentless bashing of old.

Don't expect anything catchy as much as something unproductive, aggravating, and derivative. Even the tribal elements or the "folk" aspect of this album (awkward to mix with such music to begin with) is executed in a disappointing way. There's no cohesion, nor is there any real identity or direction for the album. Just a bad concept of too many shitty ideas making their way onto one artifact.

Rotten Soil - 53%

televiper11, June 22nd, 2011

When Roots was released in 1996, I remember being truly excited. Chaos A.D. had been one of my favorite albums, maintaining a steady rotation in my car's cassette deck for well over a year. When a friend handed me a dubbed copy of their latest album, I was stoked. Popping it in the deck, I was immediately confused. Had this been mislabeled? Was this the new Korn album? Nope, that's Max. But seriously, what's up with this derivative sound? Whereas Chaos A.D. had nicely coupled stomping grooves with tribal polyrhythms and hardcore punk and thrash, Roots tipped that sound obscenely over into the groove category, with all the welcome diversity of their previous record snuffed out as well. What had been a perfected thin line of a new sound was now a blurry, muddy mess and Roots would prove to be a record from which Sepultura (and by association Soulfly) would never recover from.

The first major problem I have with this record is the production. The thickness of the sound, the guitar and bass tone, the drum placement -- all of it is a straight xerox of the production job Ross Robinson did for the first Korn album. People went crazy for that sound at the time but it was never a perfect fit for Sepultura as the nuances of the music are lost beneath an artifical glaze of assumed heaviness. The second problem I have is with the lazy, tired musical cliches that surface up from this ugly, over-produced muck.

Now I have no real issue with the tasteful use of groove, and the incorporation of tribal elements into the Sepultura sound makes sense and should've been refreshing. But the songwriting here is tepid at best. When a track works, like the double-bass frenzy of "Attitude" or the menacing headbanger "Roots Bloody Roots," the results impress. But those tracks are front-loaded for a reason. By the time the A-Side gives way to the B-Side, the well has run dry. Whatever interesting ideas the band had are irksomely re-hashed and recycled and this enervating sense of redundancy has kept me from ever listening to Roots all the way through. It just gets boring.

What's worse is that the band experiments in ways that just get too far away from their core sound. A track like "Lookaway" with turntable scratches, hip-hop samples, and a Mike Patton/Jonathan Davis tag team is just blatant pandering at its worst. For a band once as innovative as Sepultura to hop the faddish bandwagon is just saddening. There's also an unflattering strain of angst-driven hardcore tough-guy emoting on the lyrical end that further demonstrates Sep ranging away from their basic metal templates. And while I think there's room for brief acoustic tribal jams, the back-to-back boredom of "Jasco" and "Istari" just sucks the life out of the record. These elements combine with the bad production and limpid songwriting to just drag Roots further down from disappointment to near-disaster. What's left is a mere handful of decent songs and a wrecked legacy that out-right ruined one of metal's most interesting and powerful creations.

Quintessentially Brazilian metal - 97%

sevenlee7, October 11th, 2010

First of all lets get a few things straight.

Sepultura DID NOT record this album in the Amazon! In fact the Amazon had very little influence on this album. So seriously, when people talk of all this "Amazon" stuff, they clearly don't know what they are talking about. The album was mostly recorded in the eastern part of the state of Mato Grosso which may not mean a lot to most people outside of Brazil but trust me, it's not the Amazon.

Next, This is not thrash. It goes without saying right? No one is disputing this but apparently this causes a lot of distress for Sepultura fans who only like the "real" Sepultura i.e. pre Chaos era. OK so after "Arise" they could've taken one of two roads. One, continue down the thrash road and end up like AC/DC or Slayer in that they never change their sound. Or two, do what they did and venture in a different direction. So there lies the argument between fans and no one will ever agree. Personally, I'm glad they changed. Sure I love AC/DC and Slayer but their lack of direction makes me a bit bored sometimes and I find myself only listening to their older stuff anyway. A change in direction can be the best, worst or most indifferent thing that can happen to a band. In Sepultura's case I think it was the best. So when people say "well it doesn't compare to Arise". Of course it doesn't, they are completely different. They changed, get over it.

So lets talk about the album itself.
"Roots Bloody Roots" kicks in and straight away there is a different vibe. It's slower, heavier and deeper than all Sepultura's material that preceeded it. Still a live staple today, "Roots Bloody Roots" is certianly a killer track and I guess one of those songs that is a lot more accessible to the mainstream.

"Attitude" follows it up, begining with the unmistakable sound of the Berimbau. A uniquely Brazilian one stringed instrument that compliments Sepultura's sound perfectly and is the perfect introduction to one of the heaviest tracks on the album.

When it comes to change of sound, the examples dont get more fitting than "Ratamahatta". With the Brazilian beats and assistance from the Xavante tribe, Sepultura create a track that certainly doesn't have an equal anywhere outside this album. One could almost argue that this is the archetypal "Roots" song. Metal guitar heavily interlaced with Brazilian influences and lyrics in Portuguese.

Later sees the least metal part of the album in the form of "Jasco" and "Itsári". "Jasco" is a lone little guitar piece that shouldn't be a surprise to Sepultura fans as they'd already dabbled with this type of track with "The Abyss". Yet this one is much different in that the scale Andreas uses is much more different and exotic than most used to hearing. It's a fantastic little ditty that, for guitarists, is a great joy to master and play. "Itsári" is a pleasant track that is mainly light acoustic guitar with chanting and other contributions again from the Xavante tribe.

The album finishes (unless of course you have the Digipak version) with perhaps their most intense moment in "Dictatorshit". Heavily distorted and lightning fast, it's probably the only track that would satisfy the fans of "real" Sepultura.

The guitars are tuned low and are heavily distorted. Igor's drumming is at it's best and while replacing the sometimes monotonous thrash drumming style with a more groove orientated sound, it's no less impressive. OK so the lyrics are, well, not the most poetic or sophisticated but that's Max and in my opinion his passion when singing them makes up for the lack of sophistication.

Above all else, though, what makes this album so amazing is that it really is the most Brazilian any Brazilian band has sounded. Heavy metal is not a Brazilian invention but of course metal is for everyone worldwide and like the world itself, it is varied and unique depending on where it comes from, or at least it should be. America had the bay area thrash, Britain had NWOBHM, Sweden has Gothenburg metal but what about Brazil? Sure Brazil isn't exactly the most influential country when it comes to metal. Brazilian bands such as Angra, Korzus, Sarcófago, Torture Squad and Eminence are all playing heavy music but if you just listened to the music and you didn't know, it could think it was from anywhere. I consider myself lucky to be living in Brazil and while most Brazilians will sit there and tell you about the horrible aspects of their country such as violence, poverty and corruption, in the same breath they'll tell you they wouldn't live anywhere else. They have a right to be proud of their country and its amazing and varied culture. However, when it comes to metal, that culture never comes out in the music and personally I think it's a shame. When you listen to "Roots", there is little doubt where this album originates from. Some may call it a cheap attempt to cash in on some exotic sound but I strongly disagree. I think Sepultura was the only band to have the balls to heavily lace their music with sounds and language of their native country and I think bands should do it more often. Why do we expect bands from different places to all sound the same? Why do we expect them to all sing in English? There are so many fascinating sounds from so many different cultures around the world and many of those would fit into metal so well, for me it's a shame it isn't exploited more often.

So love it or hate it, I still maintain that while it certainly isn't the fastest or thrashiest of Sepultura's albums, it's the most interesting, dynamic, coolest sounding and in my opinion, their best.

Thick and dense as the roots of Amazon - 82%

Chainedown, May 10th, 2009

It seems as if everything that can be said about this album has already been said. But then why should I write this review and would want anyone to read it? Because I feel like there are aspects of this album that have been barely discussed, if any at all.

This is a dangerous album to review, because it's a touchy subject among metal fans. With this album Sepultura hurt many old fans and delighted many others that cared less. But, in my personal view, here's other ways how this album is/was dangerous...

#1: Musical fusion - brilliance or cheap exploitation of tribal music?

I've heard many opinions about Sepultura and Roots, but no one has seemed to have questioned this before, because too many people are hung up on how "nu-metal" the album sounds. When I first heard about Roots, I immediately wondered if this is some stupid attempt to be exotic, where it was more about novelty than the substance. We've seen that happen many times in popular music. A prime example was when Paul Simon wrote "Graceland" and did some shows in Africa; I couldn't help but to feel that the album ultimately served as just another way for the "intelligent" white man to gain more glory and praise by using the music of "tribal" black men.

Thank god that's not exactly the case here. Max Cavalera and the band seems to be really in touch with the frustration that Xavante Indians possess. While the Xavantes are the political and social weaklings of Brazil, Sepultura was also an outcast of society in their early existence, being a bunch of scary metalheads. Sepultura also knows the difficulty of being the weak people in politics, since they are from a somewhat struggling third-world country (Brazil) that's been trying to gain more presence in international politics and economy. Sepultura approached the Indians for collaborations for the right reasons. It was the commonality they shared - social weakness, passion to refuse and resist oppression, and use of music as a weapon to guard their identity, that made this fusion of Xavante's music and sepultura's aggression work so well. By keeping lyrical content strictly to hymns of resistance that both camps relate to, Sepultura really justifies the musical experiment of the album.

#2: Alternative/nu-metal sound - Is this the first time the band sold out?

I think this just depends on your perspective. Obviously many people see the abandonment of technical guitar work as an act of sell-out. Lack of solos piss me off too - yes, you hear one brief solo on "Endangered Species," but that's 14th track for fuck's sake - having one brief solo at the end of an album is really half-assed to me.

But wait a minute. Couldn't you call their transition from their early Morbid/Schizo sound to Beneath/Arise sound an act of "selling out" too? Sure, a shift away from satanist metal to thrash metal is a relatively small shift, but thrash was hot in the late 80s. It was marketable. It was the cool shit. Even Slayer stopped being blatantly satanic by the time Seasons in the Abyss came out in 1990. Isn't getting rid of Satanist metal for "thrash" in late 80s not that different as getting rid of thrash for newer, $$$ sound of alternative?

In Sepultura's defense though, Roots is clearly one of the best alternative/nu-metal albums. Period. No questions asked, and I'm not going to debate this with anyone. Even though Beneath and Arise weren't innovative, they were amazing albums good enough to be considered classic for the thrash genre. Likewise, Roots is an album that should be considered essential for nu-metal genre. But unlike Beneath/Arise, Roots was an genre-starting album rather than carrying the torch. And even though it's got a large element of nu-metal, remember folks, Sepultura did it with just 6 string guitars - no 7-string guitar Ibanez bullshit like everyone else.

#3: "Don't fuck with me" vibe of the album - a true sense of danger or just childish rants?

Earlier I mentioned lyrics being relevant to political and social resistance. We all know well that nu-metal generally has horrible lyrics and a lot of personal anger that lacks purpose and offers no closure or solution. Here, it sounds like aimless rants too, at first. However, on this album the primal expression of anger is carried out with a clear objective. Pick any lyrics, and you'll see that they're simplistic, rhymes here and there but not really, etc. These lyrics individually might not impress you, but when it's striking at a same issue so consistently from "Roots Bloody Roots" to "Dictatorshit," it inevitably breeds a solid sense of purpose and inspiration to care about justice.

As far as vocals go, this is Max's best work ever. His screams on this album is a style all on its own. It's sincere and full of indignation, and Roots is more dependent on Max's vocal talent than anything else, even though the same could not be said of the band's previous albums. Particularly on "Roots Bloody Roots" does Max really shine - he is so intense on it that every single live performance I have seen pales to the recorded vocals.

The best part of it all is that the message of the album is political while being devoid of political ideals - it's easier to listen to Roots as music than the music of Rage Against the Machine or System of a Down where dogmatic politics can get really annoying. It's also aggressive only as much as it is necessary - like a desperate cry out of self-defense. The simple vocal delivery that taps mankind's primal instincts added to the thematic consistency, and ultimately made the album personal and political yet easy to digest and relate to without being excessive in violence. The lyrics and vocals on this album is probably why "Sepultura=Max" to many people, regardless of their opinion on Roots or even Chaos A.D. Max's vocals is really memorable.

My final verdict:

Roots is inconsistent compared to albums up to Arise, or the recent masterpiece like A-Lex. Songs after the great instrumentals "Jasco" and "Itsari" just feels misplaced, because those two songs totally chills out the mood and kills the momentum (it's exacerbated by the middle-part of "Ambush" as well). That's too bad because the entire album up to that point is perfect - even "Lookaway," which might come across as aimless to some, provoked an image of a dense Amazon jungle and maintained that dangerous feel. No songs on this album is a "filler," but if Roots was meant to be a true battle cry of personal and political fury, then it should have left a couple tracks out or have tracklist arranged better. If I could've, I would've suggested to Sepultura to cut "Itsari" a little shorter too in order to not kill the momentum of the punk-like aggression.

I am neither the type to think that this was an utter piece of shit, nor the type to praise this as "Sepultura's best album ever," although I do lean towards the latter than the former. No matter how flawed it is and how frustrating it is at times, this album is a classic. Why? Because nothing sounded like this before or after. Not even Sepultura, Soulfly, or Cavalera Conspiracy could sound dangerous like that since. No wonder no one has played "Ratamahatta" and many other songs off Roots.

The Royal Seal of Gayness. (Valedictorian) - 0%

hells_unicorn, October 11th, 2008

There is a certain class of albums that are, by their very nature, utterly repulsive to anyone who loves heavy metal, particularly the brand that existed before 1992. It isn’t so much a matter of the music contained within not being aggressive enough, technically proficient enough, or that the lyrics aren’t conducive to the multifaceted nature of the style per say. If those were the standard, this band’s classic debut “Morbid Visions” wouldn’t be lauded as a grand pioneering effort by many fans of thrash, death, and black metal respectively. The ultimate issue is what the culture it represents holds in opposition to metal culture, and consequently the manner in which the music is presented in the sum of all its various parts.

Sepultura’s “Roots” doesn’t really qualify as groove metal or industrial metal in the general sense as its predecessor did, nor is it fully in the realm of avant-garde music or nu-metal. It’s sort of stuck in between all of those, and basically functioned as a template that greatly influenced all of those various off-shoots in certain respects after its release. It was itself heavily influenced by newer sounds such as Korn’s mallcore creation, Faith No More’s experimental material, as well as the slowly emerging rap/rock scene known today as nu-metal, underscored by the fact that central figures in all 3 scenes provided guest work on here. To a zombie-like adherent of pop culture, this is the perfect stew of every dumb assed form of pop/rock that was burning up the top 200 at the time with a hodgepodge of artsy nonsense which had slightly less of a following, but to someone who expects metal in their speakers, it's nothing more than a random mess of decrepit mainstream dribble. If there were an actual school where one learned to trade in their metal credentials for a diploma/stamp of approval in the fine art of crappy rock music (which I have dubbed The Royal Seal of Gayness), this release would be its valedictorian.

The complete departure from anything resembling a recognizable form of metal covers every second of sonic diarrhea splashed upon this piece of toilet paper that happens to be shaped like a CD and playable in a CD player. Evil sounding death barks are nowhere to be found, as good old Max Cavalera has decided that imitating Jonathan Davis’ whinny yells and incoherent mumbles is the way to go here. Fast and fun drum beats have been traded in for hypnotic drum beats and random tribal percussive interludes, both of which clash with each other completely and sound as if someone is playing two different songs simultaneously through the same stereo system. The guitars are as muddy as a swamp of coccidian infested elephant excrement that listen about as sour as the actual condition would smell in reality, and the riffs consist mostly of 2 note/chord dribble that is repetitive enough to make “Chaos A.D.” sound like “Beneath The Remains”. Throw in a few really comical sounding effects such as record scratches; overly present vocal distortion, dissonant 2 note tremolo leads with effects that make them sound even more out of tune, and a whole bunch of other crap that should never be mixed in together.

Although differentiating each individual song is not extremely difficult due to the wide variety of elements at play, nothing on here can really be enjoyed if you liked any of this band’s past work, particularly their 80s albums. Anyone suggesting as such is not doing so because they listen to music on the merits, but because they are subject to the indoctrination of mainstream music via the radio. “Roots Bloody Roots” introduces us to the 2 note goodness of modern mallcore riffing, borrowing heavily from Korn’s debut both musically and vocally. There are probably 4 actual riffs to this whole song, but if you cancel out distinctions between riffs consisting of single notes versus ones that follow the same pattern and rhythm but use power chords, there are only 2. This form of non-variation is bolstered a little by annoying high end guitar screeches loaded with processed flanger effects and a slight change in beat to give the illusion of variation, but really what you get is 3 and ½ minutes of Cavalera crying like a sodomized bitch overtop of an extremely annoying, one-dimensional, droning background.

From here on in, we get various regurgitations of this simpleton approach to song creation, making one wonder if this entire album was written over a weekend with Patton and Davis coaching the band on what will get them radio play. “Attitude” and “Cut” have a little more variation to them; the latter actually has a little guitar solo that would be good if it wasn’t drowned in maxed out flanger effects, but the vocals are so high in the mix you can hardly make out what’s going on beneath them, not that you’d actually want to. “Ramatahatta” takes the same 2 or 3 note droning, mud stomping, guitar groove style and loads it up with weird percussive tribal lingo out of some guest vocalist and Cavalera in a question and response style that sounds more like someone beating on a plastic bucket than an actual person talking. “Breed Apart” ratchets up the gayness further still with a complete imitation of both Davis’ bitchy yells and his homoerotic whisper/speak. Parts of this have riffs consisting of one note, so of course we need to mask it with more Brazilian percussion and studio gimmicks, like pouring a gallon jug of perfume on a mud drenched warthog.

On and on this thing plods through the sewage drenched seas of groovy sludge, occasionally morphing into something tribal sounding, while at others just loading up on the rap and ambient guitar nonsense and being even more unlistenable. “Straighthate” starts off with this really annoying one note bass drone loaded with feedback drenched guitar harmonics that sound like a tiger mauling a chalk board with its front claws. At about the 1:15 mark we get about 10 seconds of pure groove metal where we have a unified arrangement and an actual guitar riff to speak of, but what little enjoyment might be gotten from it is utterly destroyed by the mess that follows it. That’s basically how the album functions, every now and then, they’ll revisit their groove/thrash past here and there as if to remind the listener that this used to be a metal band and torture him further. “Spit” annoys the listener further still by actually taking out a lot of the studio gimmicks and putting in 3 or 4 half-decent groove riffs, but compensates for this obvious positive by making Cavalera’s distortion steeped voice so ridiculously loud in the mix that you can’t hear it half of the time.

If one were to ignore the 13 minute jam session at the end of this and focus on the 15 actual songs (I use this term loosely of course), at this point we come to the center and the trough of this seemingly endless valley of garbage in “Lookaway”. If you ignore the 3 way vocal gimp festival going on and just focus on the guitars, what you have are verse sections that literally sound like an extended fart sample. The lyrics on this literally sound like they are referring to a vagina being violated, although superimposing the vocalists themselves into the picture, 3 vaginas would be the actuality of it. Hearing Cavalera and Davis at the same time, it is definitely clear that the former is a little manlier in sound, but that’s not saying much. Patton is basically just blurting out gibberish at random, serving only to throw off any sense of rhythmic cohesion that this fudge dragon of a song actually possesses. As a whole, this monstrosity is the worst thing ever to be put to music; the world’s largest brontosaurus enema couldn’t clean this thing up.

In keeping with the capricious nature of mainstream taste, some acoustic stuff highlighting some false sense of versatility becomes obligatory, so let us proceed to the twin odes to the primitive in “Iasco” and “Itsari”. I’m not fully opposed to the idea of meshing Brazilian tribal chant and percussion with metal music, as Angra actually did a decent job of it on “Holy Land”, but this is just utterly boring. “Itsari” is basically a near carbon copy of “Kaiowos” with sampled chants in the background, while “Iasco” is similar sounding to the same “Chaos A.D.” song but is about half as long yet meanders twice as much. If you put both of these songs on a continued loop and subjected every environmental activist on the planet to it for 30 minutes, you’d likely see the world singing in unison for the final solution to the rainforest question and could then make a killing in the chainsaw and torch business once slash and burn policies began to commence.

If you’ve managed to suffer through the entire duration of the first 14 songs, we are greeted with one song that actually passes for metal, albeit something along the lines of thrash/crossover with pretty poor vocals. For all of its lyrical stupidity and horribly over-distorted vocals, “Dictatorshit” has a good riff or two buried in the arrangement and a guitar solo that would be good if it wasn’t buried under too many effects. Unfortunately, being just over a minute in time length, the song presents itself not so much as a breath of fresh air after nearly an hour of torturous suffocation, but as an insult to the listener by reminding them that this band is capable of rocking out, but utterly refuses to do so. Why the fuck would you put one decent little ditty right at the end of a mountain of dog shit? It makes zero sense logically, although given the influences at work here; it actually makes perfect sense nonetheless.

It’s one thing to be a pioneer of something as terrible as mallcore like Korn was, it is quite another to be a well established thrash act from the 80s who pioneered the death metal style, and then jumped on board the latest fad like a whore onto her next customer. The fact that this new customer (genre) is ugly as hell only further adds insult to injury. You can get a level of enjoyment out of Pantera’s and Machine Head’s music from this time period, regardless how inferior the music is, but this just has nothing redeeming to speak of. It has rightfully earned not only the honor of being stamped with The Royal Seal of Gayness, but the top status as valedictorian of the class for its helping spread the mallcore virus through the classrooms of crappy core high school, where all metal ceases to be.

Originally submitted to (www.metal-observer.com) on October 11, 2008.

Mixed feelings - 65%

morbert, June 1st, 2007

You know what the really funny thing is. When someone just doesn’t like a transitional album, frantic fans will always use the same argument: “You would have liked it if you were ‘open minded’ ”. The 1996 album ‘Roots’ is a classic example of an album that devides us all and a lot had been said on here already. I for one hope to have an opinion that is slighty different.

The album of course has gone down in history as the most important album to mix Brazilian music with metal. So far I really like the idea. Nothing wrong with those great rhythms and what a marvellous thought to introduce these into the metalscene. I’m always up for some really new ideas or innitialy crazy approaches. A lot of songs on this album are pretty good and do a good job of blending these styles. The titletrack is amazingly powerful and so was its video. More powerful actually than their previous album in terms of aggression and intensity. In essence it is a midtempo metal song with additional Brazilian elements. Second really superb song is ‘Ratamahatta’. The blend is perfect here since neither one of the styles takes the upper hand and the lead mixed vocals are simply great.

Third place really goes to 'Born Stubborn' which is heavy, catchy and even danceable! great rhythms here and quite some happy riffs. Once again this is a song in which both styles blend perfectly. Fourth place will definately be 'Dusted' which is the missling link between the average sound of this album and its predecessor 'Chaos A.D.' with the emphasis on the latter.

Also worth mentioning is my personal fifth place 'Spit' which is actually a midpaced punksong reminiscent of Amebix and the slower works of Discharge. Okay, so there also was a short uptempo song for all those fans who had liked ‘Biotech is Godzilla’ and all the punk-covers Sepultura had recorded throughout the years but ‘Dictatorshit’ was no old thrasher yet still an entertaining song.

But really, how much I tried, all the other songs didn't really do it for me. not even 'Jasco' and 'Istari' because one ‘Kaiowas’ is enough for me and a chanting village doesn't change the fact that these acoustic intermezzos of Cavalera and Kisser all sound the same. Most of the other songs are midpaced and slowpaced nu-metal with incidental use of extra instruments like Berimbau on intros and in middlesections. Not really a blending of the styles you see but more of a contrived copy/paste approach compositionally. Real low points are ‘Attitued’ and ‘Lookaway’. The songs in essence are simply bad, boring, dull and the use of extra instruments doesn’t change that.

Still, after 11 years the album has some material that I wouldn't want to miss in my collection but also a lot of songs I must skip or else I'll go mad. For the originality, heavy sound and those mentioned 6 great songs I really must give them 85 points. All those other songs however take it down to 65 points.

Roots Bloody Good Roots - 85%

All_Of_Life_Decays, April 27th, 2007

Roadrunner Records 1995
Reviewed: Special edition 2005

Brazilian metallists retreat into the Brazilian jungle and re-emerge with this lovingly repackaged masterwork.

It’s not every day that you happen upon a truly original album. An album where the musicians immerse themselves in the very elements of their heritage, and allow it to change them into an artistic force the likes of which will never be seen again. An album that is as much about a country and a civilization as a band. But then, it’s not every day that you hear an album like “Roots”.

Brazilian thrash metal monsters Sepultura’s sixth album was always going to be a challenge. How could a band possibly improve on the brilliance that was the legendary “Chaos AD”? One thing was for sure; they could only fail by walking the same path they had successfully journeyed five times before. So they decided to extract their patented take on crushingly heavy thrash/death metal, a hint of the at-the-time cutting edge nu-metal sound, and most importantly, their Brazilian musical culture, and create something monumental. The result is "Roots". From working alongside the famous percussionist Carlinhos Brown on the landmark song “Ratamahatta” to performing with the Xavantes Tribe, the true music of Brazil, an exclusive club which Sepultura must surely now belong to, is explored and incorporated. And it works perfectly.

From the opening echoes that introduce the metal anthem “Roots Bloody Roots” to the end, the intriguing, initially untitled “Canyon Jam”, this is so heavy you can feel it pressing from inside you outwards. However, it is unquestionably the balance that this record achieves that makes it so essential. For every few guitar-heavy thrash masterwork there is a mild-mannered acoustic track or samba-groove piece. However, it is the songs which sound so integrally “Brazilian” that work the best. While the aforementioned “Ratamahatta” is spectacular, and obviously of this criterion, it is the excellent "Itsari", a track recorded at the traditional home of the Xavantes tribe, with the tribe’s people chanting in the background that truly realizes the goal of this album .Also notable is the obvious Nu-metal influence. But of course, this is the grimy, grinding, painful nu-metal KoRn were successfully peddling before Linkin Park and company introduced a new generation to heavy music, thus defining the Mallcore label that is now used by anyone looking to incriminate anything more melodic than Anal Cunt. Indeed, KoRn singer Jonathon Davis and future Limp Bizkit member DJ Lethal contribute to the song “Lookaway".

However, despite this indigenous, acoustic twist, this is an extreme metal album and this is an extreme metal band, and throughout the majority of the album, this shows. The tracks, even through their progressive ideas, are still packed with enough metal brilliance to remind people; this is Sepultura, one of the main innovators of death/thrash, perhaps proving themselves the equals of legends like Slayer, Kreator or Death Angel. The enthusiastic passion for music that these men show is infectious, and the guitars still grind, the drums still pound and the vocals are still as raw, hostile and ferocious as they were when this band were still playing songs with names like “Dead Embryonic Cells”. Of course, they mellow out when performing with the indigenous people - they would probably otherwise be mistaken for demons - but tracks such as “Roots Bloody Roots”, “Attitude” and “Endangered Species” all chug along superbly, and leave you full, happy and satisfied by the time the sixteen tracks are over.

And what sixteen tracks they are. We are taken from a grinding manifesto of the album via an anti-deforestation song, among others, to what a Brazilian carnival may sound like if a bouncier Slayer tribute band was playing. From there, we are bought through the dark, heavy world of aggression to a sudden clearing. An acoustic piece followed by the mighty “Itsari”, and, following a few last songs, the conclusion a strangely haunting thirteen-minute instrumental - of sorts – which consists of them throwing rocks or playing strange instruments in a cleverly microphoned canyon. The sounds, initially weird, paint a haunting soundscape progressive bands like Opeth, Coheed and Cambria, and Sunn 0))) still struggle to create.

The only criticisms that the more metal-y tracks have a tenancy to meld into one another; there's only so much you can do with downtuned guitars. The album is also overlong; at over 72 minutes, it seems like the kind of challenge you just can’t be bothered with. However, it is a suitably heavy, and surprisingly progressively-minded, release from a band who completely deserve all of their success. “Roots” is earthy, organic, deep, and indigenous; primitive, yet compelling.

This is an album which gives so much, and only asks that you allow it to unravel itself .While not as good as “Chaos AD”, this is clearly a great album that, even in retrospect, deserved every bit of praise it got. Even though Roadrunner Records themselves told Sepultura this concept was “commercial suicide”, that the album saw such critical and commercial mass worship speaks for itself; originality isn’t as loathed as was previously thought. This is the reason Breed 77 included their native flamenco music into their style, of why System of a Down were given a chance to sound so strangely Serbian. This is an outstanding work of sonic art that still seems new and exiting to those of us who only discover it now.

Only repetition and length problems stop this being on par with the metal greats, but hey, you can’t fault their artistic integrity.

The death of a once excellent band. - 15%

LordBelketraya, January 2nd, 2007

I first heard about this band when this album came out back in '96. I heard 'Roots Bloody Roots' and I thought it was an okay song. I decided to buy the album and I believe that after listening to the entire album about 3 times I just put it away in the corner assuming that I would listen to it again someday. About 5 years later it collected dust and eventually was sold with other used cd's that didn't cut the mustard either.

I had a friend who swore that Sepultura was fucking lengendary and I had looked at him like "what's so legendary about these guys?". He lent me two cd's, 'Schizophrenia' and Beneath The Remains'. Those two releases alongside 'Arise' and yeah even 'Chaos AD' is what made them the best metal band from Brazil, ever. Roots is just a sellout atrocity. With Chaos AD it was a step in a different direction into Tribal Metal which was new at the time and not a bad idea, especially when its executed right. It was a really good album in my eyes, but little did I know what monsters it would create just 3 years later. The mistake Sepultura or Max made was to keep going in the same direction. These guys were the fucking shit at making true thrash metal. They drifted away from it with Chaos AD which was okay as long as it was a "one-off" thing. Kind of like giving them time to think up some good thrash riffs and to decompress from it as well.

So three years later they embrace their new style and completely make a half-assed album. The guitars are downtuned too much, the lyrics are something that an angry high school teen may have written while listening to Shitknot. I'm not sure if this was Max's idea to make this type of music of the entire band, but if indeed it was Max who thought up this garbage it makes sense he's no longer with the band. With his new band 'Soulfly' he can do all the Tribal/Nu/Groove Metal he wants without conflict of interest since he IS the band. Roots marked the "end" of Sepultura in many fans eyes. It was the last album with the original lineup of Max and Igor Cavalera with A.Kisser and Paulo Jr. Also a huge chunk of their fanbase went away knowing that this was it for them. In a way this album is so fucking terrible that the band 10-11 years on still haven't recovered from it.

Even though the last two albums Roorback and Dante XXI are actually better than Roots and some of the most listenable material from them since 1993 the damage has been done. A big thing that Roots did was spawn bands like Korn, Shitknot, all the other Nu-Metal/Groove bands that occupy people's ipods now. The teenagers of today think this is metal music, if only they could hear some of this bands material from 85-91 along with Sextrash, Sarcofago, Massacra, Kreator, Death and Possessed. Music today would benefit from people listening to the real music from that era. Maybe even Speultura themselves.

As for the album Roots, I am required to actually review this thing. The music takes the idea initially used on 'Chaos AD' and goes further into it. But using more of a South American rhythm and tribal sound while completely sacrificing any real guitar rhythm or solos that was in abundance just a few years prior. It seems like this was released just to make a buck, it was their most commercially successful release and very visible to the average joe, unfortunately people formed bands to this style of music. The first song 'Roots Bloody Roots' is listenable for a couple of minutes when you realize that the lyrics really have no depth or actual thought behind them and without riffs your attention drifts away. 'Ratamahatta' sounds like Korn went on a trip to the Amazon jungle and made a song about it, just mumbling and screaming gibberish. The rest of the album doesn't offer anything different or nor does it give you hope of rekindling the past. It's so bad it's depressing, mainly because this was the same band that made classic songs like; Mass Hypnosis, Dead Embryonic Cells, Septic Schizo, Troops Of Doom, etc. Pick anything from 85-93. It blows this away by miles.

I give this a fifteen because some songs do grab your attention and in some way it's like a car accident, you can't help but look away. With this you can't help but listen to what all the negativity is about. People familar with the old stuff will cry after hearing this album. Shame on you guys for making this album.

Attitude & Respect - 84%

zyon, June 11th, 2005

What's left to say about Sepultura? That it's probably the best selling third world band ever? That they're going facedown to the ground since the leaving of Max "I am the Soulfly-Ego" Cavalera? "Chaos A.D." went golden and "Roots" went double gold in Holland (trust me, that's a good thing). That the difference between their first and last records is so huge that even the development of a butterfly contains more radical changes? That "Roots" was the first piece of metal I bought? Nah, I think the band-name speaks for itself. The style on this first piece of Sepultura is totally different from "Roots". They started as a full-on death metal band, finding their roots on "Beneath The Remains' (1989) and re-discovered 'em in 1991, with the release of "Arise". And then, five years later, one of the finest works of the 90's is released.

Simply called "Roots", the album shows more tribal influences than a reggae-bar. Songs like "Jasco" and "Itsari" are nothing more than the drumming on a Brazilian bongo, the total opposition of the album opener, "Roots Bloody Roots" (who's the sinner that doesn't know this song?). "Roots" is a turning point in history, and possiblly the reason why other Brazilian bands (like Agresion and Retturn) decide to put a coin in the thrash-metal bag. And they can't be blamed. There is not a band which can equal the quality of a Sepultura record. Just because of the simple fact that songs like "Attitude", "Spit" and "Breed Apart" are so good, they'd ought tp give Max a medal!! His 'straight-in-your-face'-voice sets the tone on "Roots Bloody Roots" (ROOOOTS BLOODY ROOOOTS!!!!!!!) and "Attitude" ('Can you take it? / I won't take it!'). Then, after bursting through "Cut-Throat", there's a 20-second warm-up for "Ratamahatta". Enough time to take a glass of water and then roar along with Max and Carlinhos Brown. Following songs, "Breed Apart" and "Straigthate" are pressure-building songs, as I'd like to call them. Long songs, starting off slowly and eventually turn into a metal assault, with which you'd get your grandma deaf (that is, if she has survived the first 3 tracks). The production of "Spit" and "Dusted" could have been better. Not really surprising, not with the likes of Ross Robinson (Slipknot, Korn) working with Sepultura.

The following 2 tracks, "Jasco" and "Itsari" could have been produced by either me, you or Ross, since they're nothing more then some drumming on tribal drums, allowing you some time to get back to breath. And you'll need it, since "Dictatorshit" and "Endangered Species" are Sepultura as we known them: furious, fast metal with even more furious vocals (or should I say; screams?). Album closer, and hidden track "Canyon Jam" is based on the intro, but develops into some drumming that could have been recorded in some canyon, bouncing nicely away through your walls, they'll have your neighbours screaming to stop. Like with every good record.

If I wrote this review in '96, when it was released, I'd predict something like world domination, but with the loss of a mighty fine frontman in the shape of Max Cavalera, I'm sorry to say that "Roots" was the last Sepultura album that still proves some of the hidden quality that Sepultura had to show, since 12 years weren't enough. The world is falling apart, just several months after it's found his roots. I'm sorry.

The Mallcore Virus Strikes Again... - 17%

High_On_Maiden, May 7th, 2005

News Flash:

While trekking the Amazon in search of inspiration for their newfound tribal gimmick, it seems that once-great Brazilian thrashers Sepultura caught some sort of tropical virus. Symptoms of this mysterious plague were showing themselves in the band’s previous few releases, but the disease finally surfaced with the release of ‘Roots’, and has persisted in their releases ever since, showing no signs of recovery. These symptoms include thinking down-tuning is cool, and that writing suitably threatening lyrics makes up for an absence of riffs.

Though having clung on to the last threads of riff sanity for the previous few years, the band was finally defeated by their condition and succumbed to the full horrors of their fate. Simplistic, ape-like groove riffs began to emerge from their once blistering amplifiers, Max Cavalera’s vocals horrifically morphed into an amalgam of angsty socio-political lyrics and unconvincing anger, and they even consorted with fellow sufferers Jonathan Davies from the terminally-ill Korn and DJ Lethal of pestilent Limp Bizkit fame. Seemingly gone was Igor Cavalera’s competence as a percussive force to be reckoned with, and no amount of “tribal” gimmicks could disguise the severity of Sepultura’s decline.

Bafflingly, many in the wider music community hailed this release as a classic of heavy riffage and aggression, and the jewel of the band’s catalogue, suggesting firstly that they have not had the pleasure of encountering any of the band’s previous albums, and also that this disease is more widespread than first thought. It has been suggested that this plague is spread by such avenues as MTV and Kerrang.

This band is not the only one affected by this worrying contamination, but the common reason for its spread is thought to be DISTINCT LACK OF RIFF IDEAS. If you are in a thrash band and have been suffering from a lack of riffs – perhaps you have even started down-tuning and writing lyrics about “motherfuckers”? – then don’t panic, see your doctor and get him to prescribe you a liberal dosage of Kreator, Dark Angel, or other approved thrash remedies and you will be well on your way to recovery.

Let Sepultura be a warning to others – if the symptoms are there, don’t let the disease grow, or you will be another victim of MALLCOROSIS!

Masterpiece of an album for open minds - 92%

arhar, March 9th, 2003

Too many times I have heard the same stereotypical response from all sorts of metalheads: “Roots sucked, Sepultura was never good after their thrash days!” I must say I couldn’t disagree more. To me, this album is Sepultura’s finest hour, an album where they finally discovered a unique, amazing sound that many tried to copy, but failed.

But let’s start from the beginning. Sepultura have come a long way since their “primordial evil” sound on their debut, “Bestial Devastation” (1985). They abandoned death metal for thrash, thrash for groove-metal on “Chaos AD” (1993), and finally, their search for a unique sound has come to an end on this album. Make no mistake about it – this is still HEAVY METAL, but a very different style of it indeed. The most unique thing about this album, for those that don’t know, is that Max&Co incorporated a lot of Brazilian folk influences and mixed them well with metal to create a fresh and unmatched mixture.

The guitars are down tuned quite a bit. Majority of headbangers don’t like that, but for me, it adds to the overall atmosphere pretty nicely. For the most part, songs are slow, crushingly brutal, and with a lot of “groove”. The album opens with “Roots Bloody Roots”, slow and maddening number that gets your blood boiling and gets you into the right mood for the album. My advice is to forget all critique you’ve heard about it and try to enjoy it regardless of what others say. The next track, “Attitude”, starts off with a strange sound on some Brazilian instrument, whose name escapes me at the time, it slowly turns into a crushing anthem of youth, giving a middle finger to the authority and establishment. But don’t think that sluggish and devastating numbers are the only thing Sepultura offers on this album. There are straight-up metal and punk (yes, punk) songs, fast and uncontrollable, there is an amazing classical piece, performed by Andreas Kisser on the acoustic guitar; there are tribal jams and chants, recorded while band-members were living at the Amazon jungle with Indians…. Doesn’t sound like your typical metal album, does it?

The lyrics are a separate matter entirely. Gone are the primitive “hell and brimstone” lyrics of the past, written when the band members didn’t even speak English. The lyrics strike a nostalgic chord in me every time I read them. For you see, this was the first extreme metal album I’ve ever listened to back in 1996, and for a teenager who just moved to another country and had a lot of issues to deal with it, this lyrics meant a whole lot to me. Sure, now some people dismiss, not even bothering to read them, as “another mallcore whining”, forgetting that this album was way before TV and Radio got saturated with the likes of Slipknot and Linkin Park. “Criticize me, call me negative, but you never deal with life or reality, I separate myself from the rest, what the fuck do you expect?!?!”… “Live your life not the way they taught you , do what you feel. Survive the jungle, Give me blood, Give me Pain, These scars won't heal” … And, of course “Sepultura in our hearts, Can't take it away, These Roots will always remain…” It’s ironic how a year after singing this, Max Cavalera has left Sepultura, and in another year he was fronting a mallcore band, while the rest of Sepultura without him quickly descended into hardcore mediocrity….

Highlights: Title track, “Attitude”, “Straighthate”, “Jasco”, “Born Stubborn”
Lows: “Lookaway” and “Itsari”
Final Verdict: On “Roots”, Sepultura explode with influences from every possible and impossible source. If you actually give this album a chance without prejudice, you’re in for a great listen. As for me, no matter what music I will listen to at the moment, this album will always hold a warm place in my heart for introducing me to Sepultura, and to heavy metal in general (before it my knowledge of it was limited to Metallica and Scorpions).

Complete fucking crap - 8%

UltraBoris, August 18th, 2002

So Sepultura wakes up one day, realising that they've competely shat on their thrash careers by releasing the abortion known as "Chaos AD" so they figure, what the fuck, they haven't go t much to lose... "let's try to cram as many really fucking retarded ideas into one album as is humanly possible!"

Remember kids, they ran out of riffs halfway through the Beneath the Remains tour, and just barely had enough left over for Arise, so don't expect to suddenly find any on this album. What there is, however, is a whole fucking lot of shitty, shitty mallcore. And groove - oh yes, when you're missing riffs, you gotta go for the groove. Songs like "Attitude" and "Born Stubborn" are the best examples of silly modern rock with dumbassed guitar work, played slowly-to-midpace with no conviction. Even Chaos AD sounded better than this, it's that bad.

Oh there's the tribal angle too... yes, they really fucking play this one up - because something's gotta come in now that all the riffs have gone. There's one song here ("Itsari") that's all tribal chanting, and I don't think the band even is featured on this track!! The silly shit props up in a bunch of other songs, including "Roots Bloody Roots" and more... I mean, in and of itself, "Itsari" is okay for what it is, but when you try to combine that sort of thing with guitars, it just ... doesn't ... work ... AT ALL!! It's like having yourself a nice refreshing slice of pizza, and washing it down with some tasty, delicious anti-freeze!!!

Then you've got the really amazing lyrics. I mean, Sepultura never really had great lyrics, but at least they were never this overtly prominent in the mix where you were forced to listen to their sheer monstrosity. "When you go down! When you go down motherfucker!" Oh yes, I'm really feeling the intelligence now.

Oh yeah and there's the guest vocals and shit. "Look Away" has two of our favourite characters, none other than Jonathan Davis and Fred Durst. Such a shame that the Air Force wasn't conducting maneuvers in the area and "accidentally" dropped a thousand-pound munition on that room when this was taking place.

My God, this album is so fucking atrocious. It's the equivalent of shitting on the ceiling. Sure, it's different, and takes some effort, but in the end, it's just shit all the same.