Experimental doesn't mean "good" - 63%

Jack_Phoenix_Manhwa, September 4th, 2004

Chaos A.D:

As many critics of this album said, this record put down the basic lines of mallcore, due to the progressive commercialization of thrash metal (Pantera and all the anti-"post-thrash" sellouits theories are the main example of this campaign of hatred, which is unfair confronting to all the gems Pantera offered to the main thrash current.)

I've never been a Sepultura hardcore, but I still had appreciated the Arise album. This didn't made me feel Chaos A.D. was crap. The variety of the grooves (I hate talking about "grooves", but anyhoo!) makes it an experimental album on an experimental path, which will lead to the horrible stuff Sepultura get around right now.

Somehow, I could still recognize an incredible skill of Igor behind the drums; the touch of tribalism put on the songs, with plenty of wooden bells, samba-like percussions and stuff like this is an improvement, not necessary but at least not annoying. Max, to my opinion, has made the choice to seem never-endingly growling, and I wouldn't blame him for his eventual technical limits. Guitar riffs are quite heavy, with small solos and power strums, in Sepultura style...which means they're always the same. This leads to have all the tracks with identical riffs, but plenty of different rythms and stuff added to not make you see the riff is the same from the previous song.

Maybe it's compensation for Arise, when the drums were always the same and the riffs changed play by play.