Hate through the arteries - 99%

morbert, May 29th, 2007

My first introduction to Sepultura was hearing 'Primitive Future' on the radio somewhere in 1989. Shortly after I saw the video to 'Inner Self' on Super Channel (remember that one?). I immediately went out to buy the album and at Dynamo Open air 1990 I stood in front waiting for these guys. I guess this says enough about how I feel concerning 'Beneath the Remains'. Not only is it by far the best Sepultura album ever made, it is also one of the best thrash metal albums ever made. The overall sound was vile, angry. The vocals were trully mean yet fortunately no real grunts. My god did this album thrash.

After a beautiful intro, the titletrack sets the mood for the album. Raging uptempo thrashing madness which is actually very catchy. 'Inner Self' proved to be the 'lightest' song on the album, mostly bringing some excellent mdtempo riffing verses, an uptempo chorus and my favorite solo from the album.

Other highlights include the already mentioned 'Primitive Future', 'Stronger than Hate', 'Slaves of Pain' and the mighty catchy thrasher 'Mass Hypnosis'. Objectively speaking Sepultura have never made a flawless album but the lesser interesting songs 'Sarcastic Existence', 'Lobotomy' and 'Hungry' are still of outstanding quality.

Compositionally and productionally their most aggressive album. The sound of 'Beneath the Remains' shattered that of 'Schizophrenia' and the aggression presented here overthrew the dark 'Morbid Visions' album with ease. That is saying something, knowing both 'Schizophrenia' and 'Morbid Visions' are classics in their own way as well.

The riffs on 'Beneath...' are mostly simple but they are pretty catchy and deadly effective. The finishing touch is the magnificent drumming of Igor Cavalera. He plays his parts with mindblowing surgical tightness and a never ceasing amount of energy. It was on this album that the brothers Cavalera excell together in tightness and both perfectly coincide with the creative leads presented by Andreas Kisser. A classic of the purest kind.