Wow, that was dissapointing. - 64%

Egregius, April 11th, 2004

You have to wonder what happened between Schizophrenia, a thrash masterpiece, and this album, which is as mediocre as they get.

Schizophrenia had riffs that slew. Beneath the Remains is full of riffs that I've heard a zillion times on other thrash albums. And for an album released in 1989, that's not a good thing. This album is full of the oh-so-typical dundundundun-du-da-du riffs, with the various songs having various variations thereof. The guitars are accompanied by the same sort of drumming that typified the drumming on Schizophrenia, only this time because of the lack of intense and interesting guitar-riffs, it's a mis on the hit-or-mis scale. The vocals still carry part of the intensity that the vocals on the previous album had, the intensity of a group of people in a desolate place desperately seeking a way out, but apparently the possible real-life breakthrough abroad at that time adversely affected this. I miss the madness in the music, the raw emotion, I miss something as epic as the Inquisition Symphony. I miss the attitude the liner notes on this re-release speak of.

It's not all bad, and in all honesty this Sepultura album is moderately better than the 'average' thrash album, but only marginally so. The album just goes right past me after I put it on. It doesn't seperate itself from other thrash. The album, like each song seperately, lacks it's own atmosphere. It's such a huge dissapointment for a band that released both Arise and Schizophrenia. I can't blame the crispier production, as they thankfully found themselves again on the next release.