If Only They Preached This in Church - 80%

serial_killer_miller, March 30th, 2009

In all honesty when I first heard the name Septicflesh I was not all that interested in hearing them. Call it ignorance or basing a band solely on their name, but I thought they were a grindcore band more than anything. I mean with a name like Septicflesh surely most would come to that assumption.

Recently, a friend of mine sent me one of their songs, which was "Lovecraft's Death." I listened to it and let me just say I know when I am wrong and I am not afraid to admit it. Hailing from Grece, the same country as Rotting Christ, a band I am also quite fond of, Septic Flesh offer the same atmosphere as Rotting Christ, but they are a great deal heavier.

What really struck me about this album first of all was the use of the synth. This provided the album with a very eerie atmosphere at some parts of the record, but at other parts for example in "Sunlight Moonlight" it provided more of an uplifting atmosphere. Albums with such mood altering use of atmosphere are very rare to me, but this is what makes this album so enjoyable.

The second aspect that struck a chord with me (no pun intended) was the riffing. The guitars do not sound overly complex, however they are very audible and provide some parts in songs that would make any metal fan want to headbang along. I also really enjoyed the drumming. It may not have been technical either, but it kept a great tempo that flowed nicely with the guitar.

Now, I am only rating this album at an 80 % for one very simple reason. The only drawback I find in this album is that the vocals seem to take a back seat to the instruments. I would like to be able to have the vocals a little more audible, but this may be because I myself am a death metal vocalist and I am biased towards vocals over anything else.

Aside from this one minor detail Septicflesh's Communion offers an emotion provoking listen coupled with excellent musicianship. I would strongly recommend this release to anyone who is a fan of Rotting Christ or other atmospheric bands who are interested