© 2002-2015

On the eighth day God was sleepy... - 77%

kluseba, August 16th, 2011

Senmuth offers us what seems to be one of his most progressive, experimental and diversified albums. Let's just take a look at the inspiring and epic cover artwork, the length of the six songs and the topic about the creation of the world. Well, Senmuth got us by surprise again and instead of delivering a splendid album with many changes in style to recreate the images of the creation of our universe; our Russian mastermind delivers his calmest release ever to date. This album is entirely atmospheric and focuses on soft enchanting electronic melodies with a few folk snippets and some minimalistic metal riffs every tenth minute or so. I wouldn’t even call this album progressive, it’s simply relaxing.

If the dating with the Indian girl that I suggested you in my last review didn't work and she left your candlelight supper in shame and anger, this record here is the perfect soundtrack to drown your sadness, get torn away into a different world and falling asleep with a peaceful smile on your lips. The first time I listened to this soporific album with a friend late at night it truly worked better than a couple of sleeping pills and was much healthier, too. You can analyze this in a positive and a negative way and you may be right in both cases depending on your personality.

Of course, this here isn't Senmuth's most exciting release but the album presents a new style he has never explored before. If his goal was to create a peaceful, natural and tranquilizing atmosphere, we should consider this record as a creative and intellectual success. I know a lot of quite albums no matter if I take some old multi-instrumental records such as "Tubular Bells" from Mike Oldfield, some New Age music from Enya such as "A Year Without Rain", some intriguing ambient stuff such as Empyrium's "A Wintersunset" or even progressive rock in the vein of King Crimson's "In The Court Of The Crimson King" or progressive metal like Dream Theater's "Octavarium" but Senmuth's "Evolution: Exodus" has its unique brand and is probably the most minimalistic work in this list. The lazy and repetitive mood makes me actually think of Iron Maiden's "Virtual XI" to which I accorded quite the same rating. I only added a few points in here for the consequent radicalism of this release even if this last term is rather not appropriated for this smooth gem. If you know or like any of those albums I have just listed in this review, this one is a definite must have for you. It's all about the atmosphere and that's why I don't want to point any particular song out. The album is great for what it is and wants to be but surely not always easy to digest and an appropriate record for any traditional metal music maniac.

Even though I personally prefer any of the mentioned records, I must underline Senmuth's talent, sensibility and courage here. This meditative album is a great gem for very special occasions and it may not often find its way in my stereo system but the next time I will get upset and want to calm down, relax and think, this album is definitely my new first choice. That's why I begin to like this record not only from an objective but also from a subjective point of view. If you feel that you need some time for yourself and an introspective break, this record here may help you to focus.

Surreal - 89%

1stMetalheads, October 30th, 2008

Atmosphere is perhaps the most important element of music, giving albums a unique air, making them different, and allowing the user to be drawn into the waves and motions of the album, this album is no different. While you may not think it looking at the ridiculous amount of albums this Russian band has put out, each of their albums (that I've listened to) has a very unique flair, with an overall feel to all of them, and a specific atmosphere for each one.

The primary thing making Evolution that way though, is the combination of techno and folk, with some metal elements. Don't get fooled though, the metal is nearly non-existent, and there are no vocals to speak of, but it's better that way. The techno beats make one think of space, of alien things, while the weird folk and catchy drumming give this album its real flair.

But other than that, where does it go? All of the songs sound unique, but still have this same feel. Depending on how far the atmosphere goes for you, its very possible that this album could get a hundred listens without seeming too much, while others might get bored in the very first song. It doesn't help that these songs are long and winding, and they all have the same feel. That said though, for anyone who does get it, it is a very satisfying package, combining seemingly conflicting elements into a well-constructed, and nearly flawless piece. If you listen to a song from this album and like it, then it can be nothing but a good buy (or download, it's offered for free by the artist at LastFM).