WARNING: Possible risk of brain damage - 97%

Anthony8660, May 17th, 2013

Section's Brain's Czech way of doing thrash metal has got me fucking sold. Their first and only record is a work of genius--crafting both elements from thrash and death metal into pure gold. This hidden gem never received its deserved praise, and I believe Hospital of Death is an essential album for any self considering metal head. The fact is that this album came at the wrong time, in a period where many thrash metal bands ran out of ideas. I also reckon that the Czech scene was not as popular at this time, as the emergence of USDM took place right at this moment. I've given enough praise to this full length, and now let me demonstrate to you why you should absolutely buy a digital copy of this (if you can actually find one, I really tried).

The whole album production is perfect and can't get any better in this area. The direction of this record is reminiscent of Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death and Dark Angel's Darkness Descends. The band managed to make their instruments sound completely wicked and evil: raw, razor-sharp guitars, loud and thick snare, and a furious blasting double bass pedal kick. All of these elements, combined with the addition of an organ sounding keyboard, creates a great, obscure, and vile atmosphere; it makes for an auditory experience that is just sickening--in a good way. The bass is even extremely solid and often very audible through the entire record. It's presence, sound, and playing reminds me of Mortuary's Drape's record, All the Witches Dance, which is an extra layer that many albums certainly don't have.

On the composition front, the song writing and musicianship are top notch. The riffs are fucking memorable, and it's a great inspiration of Swedish death metal and old school thrash metal. For example, the mid-paced section to be found on the title track, at exactly 2:25, really reminds me of Dismember's song Justifiable Murder: a slow and rotten dirge groove. Martin Plsek is an amazing guitarist, every song contains multiple solos, and they are all killer; you won't survive this virulent assault of technical madness. I suggest that you take the precious seconds offered on the idiotic and caveman-esque interlude, Ja Maam, to escape the ongoing onslaught. You have exactly seven seconds to think and analyze the abstruse quality of all what this guy capable of and has assaulted you with so far. The staccato riffs and his mastery of harmonics on Blood For The Bucks are surprisingly good and effective. The beginning of this song is like the death metal version of Overkill's Hammerhead. His picking skills are devastating and incredibly fast.

The keyboard also has a strong presence in the background. In the title track, at approximately 5:08, you can hear a cryptic solo version of Possessed's intro on Seven Churches. This is an exact and adequate use of keyboards for ambience, and it is especially relevant when compared to record's overall grimness. The vocals are influenced by the traditional guttural and deep form of swedish death growls. Nothing mind blowing or exceptional, but they perfectly suit the band's sound, mood, and delivery. A good comparison and reference to this are the first three Vomitory albums, particularly Revelation Nausea. The drummer, Pavel Stejskal, deserves one hell of a mention. His alternating blast beats and thumb/snare tricks are out of the ordinary. He is a very talented and accurate musician and probably amongst the best drummers for a violent, vicious thrash metal attempt like this. Let's not forget about the bass player, who is indeed a very competent bassist. His bass parts are very hard to play, ridiculously fast, groovy, and even funky at some points. On Blood for the Bucks and The Vision, you can hear some twisted bass slams, which leaves me salivating.

To sum it up, I listened to this album countless times and, to be honest, I can't really find any flaws on any track. The finale, The Czech Way, is like a slower version of the Toxic Waltz, which finally leaves you a chance to take a deep breath and embrace the greatness and beyond godlike intensity of the Hospital of Death. The production, song writing, and performance of Section Brain's members deserves a lot of recognition. This record is a monster of brutality and a big brick you'll want to throw at your friends. I've been asking myself this question: where the fuck has this been all my life? The album is highly recommended, so get your fucking head banging to this massive majesty of illness!