Scorps At Their Uli Roth Finest - 100%

gunnarvl, April 19th, 2006

This album dates back to 1978, quite some time ago. I originally purchased it on LP and literally wore the record out.

Tokyo Tapes is one terrific slab of metal made before the Scorpions went huge in the USA with a slicker, more commercial sound. Featuring the legendary Ulrich Roth, his playing is incendiary throughout. I was blown away by the live renditions of these classic Scorps tunes because Uli added so much to the lead breaks, compared to the studio versions. His playing on "Robot Man" in particular is mind blowing. The sounds that come out of his guitar are truly amazing.

There is not a weak moment on this CD, although I personally would have loved hearing "Catch Your Train" performed live, because that song features perhaps Ulrich's greatest Scorps lead solo ever, (a precursor to the playing of Randy Rhodes), as opposed to the two Elvis tunes on the CD. But again, talk about a complete album with no weak spots. It's all here, "Pictured Life", "We'll Burn the Sky", "Speedy's Coming", "Backstage Queen", "He's A Woman, She's A Man", 18 songs in total on my CD, and "Polar Nights" is included on the two disc version I own.

While the band's style changed considerably on all the albums that came after Tokyo Tapes, one must acknowledge that over a near 35 year career, there are bound to be changes. Tokyo Tapes shows the Scorps at their peak form, playing a very European style of metal at the conclusion of the first phase of their glorious career.