A Masterpiece from the 70’s - 90%

Hammertime, March 24th, 2005

Taken By Force is one of the finest releases from The Scorpions. I like the darker sound that Scorpions had in their early days. Former Scorpions guitarist Uli Roth did some great heavy lyrics also on Taken By Force album. Your Light and The Sails Of Charon contains very dark lyrics and both are very good songs also. The album starts with fast and catchy track Steamrock Fever. Klaus Meine’s vocals sound different than usual on this song and I do like the rough singing in this one. The greatest song of this album is definitely We’ll Burn The Sky. It is a perfect half-ballad and I think it’s much better than the more popular slower Scorpions classics. Meine’s singing is awesome again. The song starts slow but the chorus part is heavy and catchy. In my opinion We’ll Burn The Sky is one of the greatest songs on the long career of Scorpions. It it sad, melancholic and beautiful. I’ve Got To Be Free is a simple rocker, but a good one. The Riot Of Your Time contains dark atmosphere which was quite typical element in the 70’s Scorpions. Next comes the two Uli Roth songs The Sails Of Charon and Your Light that contain even satanic feeling on their lyrics. When I listen to those songs they remind me of old Black Sabbath which is a cool thing. He’s A Woman, She’s A Man is a funny song but a kind of a legend. After this fast rocker comes the last song of the album Born To Touch Your Feelings. It is a very typical thing that Scorpions close their album with a ballad. In fact the song is good but too long for my taste. There are some women from different countries to spell some words in the end of the song. They speak different languages so it’s hard to find out what they’re saying. In my opinion that outro part is too long and boring.

Overall Taken By Force is a very good album and I’ll recommend it to everyone who likes solid 70’s heavy rock (bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep etc.). For Scorpions fans this is the “must have” record. The original version of the album had brilliant cover art and it’s a pity that the remaster cover isn’t the same. But that’s not a big deal. The remaster contains two bonus tracks: Suspender Love and Polar Nights (live). Suspender Love is a cool rock song with a fine chorus. Polar Nights is an Uli Roth song full of guitar jamming. It is taken from Tokyo Tapes live album. The remaster version of Tokyo Tapes doesn’t have this track on it, because the length of the album.

If you have heard only newer Scorpions stuff and a few radio ballads then you should listen to this album and change your view of this band. Although you don’t like the 80’s, the 90’s or even newer Scorpions stuff you still might enjoy this album.