Metal like a hurricane! - 100%

Metal_Thrasher90, August 11th, 2008

This album meant the definitive and successful consolidation of the legendary German metal band Scorpions. In fact, they had reached the world wide success with their precedent masterpiece, “Blackout” and they were even included in the Dortmund ’83 festival, along with metal giants like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or Ozzy Osbourne. But “Love At First Sting” demonstrate that they were form the finest metal bands after 8 killer albums.

Unfortunately, as it happens with Queen’s “News Of The World” because of “We Will Rock You”/”We Are The Champions”, or with T.Rex’s “Electric Warrior” because of “Get It On”, this record is always remembered for just one track: the legendary and probably the best metal ballad ever “Still Loving You”. It’s unquestionably awesome, but there are other killer songs on “Love At First Sting”. For example, “Rock You Like A Hurricane” or “Big City Nights”, that also became classics and big hits. But it’s really sad that some people sometimes forget or they simply don’t know that Scorpions is a METAL band, with not only ballads. The sound on this one is very aggressive, fast and really solid. Dieter Dierks is for Scorpions what Martin Birch is for Iron Maiden, they both had an essential contribution with their brilliant productions. Also the band is in a fine moment. Meine’s voice has improved a lot since “Lonesome Crow” and sounds just great and sharp. The rhythmic section featuring bassist Buchholz and killer drummer Rarebell (also an essential figure on the song writing task, although being a drummer, something similar to Metallica’s Lars Ulrich) help to build an incredible wall of powerful metal sound. And what can I say about the guitarists…? Jabs’ awesome shredding solos still shock me 24 years later, and Rudolf Schenker’s riffs are simply too much for words. It’s clear that Scorpions don’t need at all Michael Schenker and Uli Jon Roth anymore. “Bad Boys Running Wild”, “The Same Thrill”, “Coming Home” or “I’m Leaving You” are from the most heavy tunes they have ever released.

It seems that Bobby Rondinelli (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Doro, …) played on some tracks not specified, although in my old CD version he doesn’t even appear on the credits.

My conclusion is that anyone who likes metal will enjoy this album, there ain’t no doubt. Scorpions deserve to be considered, with all honours, along with Iron Maiden, Rainbow or Judas Priest, an essential classic metal band of all time.