The Worst "Best of" Yet! - 50%

OlympicSharpshooter, January 11th, 2004

What a lukewarm set. This review will be very brief, because this is one of the POS "20th Century Masters" collections you see coming out all the time. Suffice to say, nothing from the RCA era(i.e the best one), and too much focus on their Savage Amusement and beyond era, which was garbage. Believe me, you don't need "Rythm of Love", "Believe in Love"(see a pattern?), and horror of horrors, "Tease Me Please Me". This was around the point Scorpions stopped even pretending to be a metal act. I've covered how insidiously catchy "Wind of Change" is, and "Send Me an Angel" is pretty solid, but otherwise this is just vomit on vinyl, or at least was before it got transferred to CD.

The early junk is of course pretty good, and it's nice to see the transcendent "Holiday" making an appearence, but really you could figure out what tracks would be picked from Blackout and Love at First Sting with your eyes closed. No live tracks, none of their really heavy tunes, and how can I make this clear, no 70's tunes!

I would kill for a greatest hits with "We Burn the Sky", "Sails of Charon", "Dark Lady", "Speedy's Coming", "In Trance", "Virgin Killer", "Steamrock Fever", "Catch Your Train", "Top of the Bill"...can you tell I love early Scorps?

I'll keep pining away I guess...