So Good! - 85%

Immortally_Insane, November 11th, 2012

Scelerata, a Brazilian heavy metal band, somehow managing to fly under the radar for the past few years, released their newest album The Sniper on November 6th in the United States. These guys have worked with quite the massive list of heavy and power metal bands. The band has played shows with Edguy and Masterplan, while also recording their latest album at Blind Guardian’s Twilight Hall Studios. In fact, the new album boasts guest appearances from Paul Di’Anno (Iron Maiden) and Andi Deris (Helloween) two well-known men who hardly need an introduction in this business. This new album brings in much heavier elements than what the band is known for, as they take on a more solid heavy metal sound, while still maintaining that power metal grasp in their melodies and hooks.

This album starts out strong and doesn’t let go. “Rising Sun” kicks off with a fast guitar melody and traditional power metal drumming. The riffs continue on through the song, but when the vocals come in the real hooks begin. The songwriting is strong yet simple, easy to enjoy and fun to sing along to. Just when I thought things couldn’t get any better, an overwhelming dueling guitar solo hits and I am sold on this band for life! “Must Be Dreaming” starts out slow with a nice bass feature, but opens up into a strong song with amazing vocal presence that sends shivers down my spine. The combination of Andi Deris and Fabio Juan creates the most pleasant of listening experiences. This song is very reminiscent of Dark Ride era Helloween (go figure). I really love how the overwhelming feeling of darkness in the music is contrasted by the power metal vocals. All of this tells me that Andi and Fabio need to work together in more projects in the future.

The next notable track, though all songs have proven themselves great in one way or another, is “’Til the Day We Die”. This is by far my favorite track on the album. The song opens with this thrashing riff and guitar solo, layered over pounding bass work and drums. As it goes on, I manage to get lost in the catchy choruses and impressive guitar work when all of a sudden, everything slows down. The thrashing ends and a beautiful rendition of the chorus ensues, complete with layered vocals that practically brought a tear to my eye. The album closes with the near ten minute long title track “The Sniper” showcasing even more fantastic musicianship and leaves me wanting so much more from this band.

I can understand why the band has received so much attention from the genre’s great names, but I fear they deserve even more from heavy and power metal fans around the world. Please, take the time to check out their music. The Sniper is most definitely worth your time.

[Originally written for TheMetalReview.com]