Well, here's an improvement - 66%

UltraBoris, May 10th, 2003

This album is way the fucking Hell better than the last album. Suckstiny, I mean that was just pure crap. This is only halfway to pure crap, and in fact the first few songs are completely excellent!!

The title track starts things off, and man this is a fun catchy song. "The preacher found redemption in a Jacksonville motel..." - then Altar of the Gods is classic Saxon, at 100% strength. Requiem is a bit slower, but still very good, as is Lights in the Sky.

"I Just Can't Get Enough" is a bit cheesier, but still solid. A little 80s-rock influence, coming from their last N albums, but then again this isn't all that far removed from Wheels of Steel or something in the general 80s-metal vibe. Nice chorus, too.

"Baptism of Fire" is the obligatory speed metal offering, and is probably the highlight of the album - either this or the title track. This one reminds me of "Sixth Form Girls" from their very strong (arm of the law) second album.

Here is where the album takes a fucking nosedive... "Ain't Gonna Take It" is crap that combines the worst of two or three Saxon songs that I can't remember... sounds like a leftover from the Destinshit album. "I'm on Fire" is a bit better but they blatantly rip off a solo from a Boston song. I forget which, but it's readily obvious, and it's one of the classic rock staple songs... can't miss it. "Refugee" is more crap, unfortunately. "Bavarian Beaver" is a bit of a noodle bit, and then "Crash Dive" - not bad, and a good closer track. Nice riff after the chorus.

So this album totally takes a sinker about halfway through, but the first six songs are all excellent, and for that the album is possibly worth having. If you like some of the more rockish Saxon albums (not the really bad ones like Destiny or Elton John the Nations, but I mean Power and the Glory), you'll like this one.