a hellish rock & roll freak - 80%

Mortifer_Hellfire, January 7th, 2007

The title of this review is off corpse a citation of Darkthrone and just like Darkthrone, Satyricon is the centre of attention. Negative attention, mostly. All the usual bitching comes into play. Where are the glory days of Dark Medieval Times? For myself I have to admit that I am one of those true-uberkvlt BM-maniacs that just can't get enough of the cold breeze of DMT and the majesty of Nemesis Divina.

The later albums of Satyricon (just like Darkthrone) are more rock & rollish than the previous. Catchy riffs and dito drums. It seems to me that Satyricon was searching to define their new found style on Rebel Extravaganza and Volcano (which I think sucked) and Now, Diabolical is in complete balance.

I rated it with 80 points simply because of the music. It IS good! But let us take a closer look on the arguments against the "new" Satyricon. If one listens carefully you will hear the both Satyr and Frost are doing the exact same trick on Now, Diabolical like they did on Dark Medieval Times. Does this implicate that a bad production really equals True Black Metal? I leave that to you.

There is some room for criticism here. Both Satyr and Frost have said in interviews that Satyricon nowadays is disciplined unit trying to make good songs, stripping them down to the basics. Sadly enough, this has resulted in some sterile tracks where they could have (but didn't) give the songs just that tiny bit of extra detail for the right bite. To my taste it is a little bit TOO calculated.