Dense and atmospheric. - 85%

Adalbertus, January 20th, 2008

It's not the album I'd listen to every day and night. But this kind of music is not meant to be radio hits or songs to sing along. It has - or rather, it had, for today hardly any bands do - the specific atmosphere, that can interest a careful listener.

First thing which always amazes me, is that with little or hardly any means some men can create things interesting and better than those MTV professionals. Here we've got two guys doing the whole album, with distorted guitars, some clean guitars, bass (but little audible) and drums... and recitation and flutes in some places. But it's all done simple ways, raw as hell and lively. I see - they could do it by themselves, I salute this. The cover is not Picasso - and that's good. It's a drawing, done by a non-professional as far as I can see... But what's best about it - the cover fits the album perfectly, illustrates its inside and I can't imagine another picture here!

The album is old-fashioned and not over-blasted, the drums in very large parts of the material do a slow work accompanying guitar tremolo. First comes "Walk The Path of Sorrow", beginning with an interesting dark intro. Like being led, or maybe going myself into the past, and towards the northern lands. That's what all this album is about. After this long track (for a typical listener's standards) comes another long one - over 8 minutes of "Dark Medieval Times". This one is really interesting even to non-metalheads, for containing said clean guitar pieces and flutes. The main riff is repeated, but the song structure is rather complex, reminding of Mercyful Fate changing their tempos and melodies.

Then we've got "Skyggedans" and "Min Hyllest Til Vinterland" - another interesting concept, wind blowing over the northern forests and some lyrics recited. It was 1993, at these times it was something new, something fresh - and after all those years it's still good, pioneering material. Our journey goes on "Into the Mighty Forest", and as we've arrived... "The Dark Castle in the Deep Forest" - two atmospheric tracks. The last one is intrumental "Taakeslottet" which fits perfectly into the album, as a good ending.

Despite being loud and probably unlistenable to some - this album gives very much atmosphere, it's condensed darkness and cold. Yet another interesting thing about it is that no lyrics were published - it has even more taste of a mystery, something interesting. It is no hit collection - but a work that can show the listener a world long gone by.