The lovely Veronika - 100%

lordazmolozmodial, October 27th, 2012

I've been always asked about my favorite doom death metal album of all time, and the answer has always been "Veronika Decides To Die" for so many reasons. The Danish group Saturnus has kept the spirit of the melodic doom metal alive within a wide range of doom death metal influences, and this fascinating touches have been alive through the discography of the band. The debut album "Paradise Belongs to You" was a huge masterpiece for the fans of the old school doom death metal fans around the world, and a lot of people thought that the band wont have the ability to produce another masterpiece then, but the two following albums "Martyre" and "Veronika Decides to Die" have just satisfied every single doomer in the world, making this Danish group at the top of the best doom death metal acts in the world today.

Paulo Coelho must be really proud of this piece of work, because every single track in this record has a very special atmosphere. These eight tracks have been stuck inside my head for more than five years, and it was so hard for me to describe all of my feelings toward this amazing album. The tune of the lead guitars in the tracks "Descending" and "Rain Wash Me" are really touching, especially if you're listening to this album in the winter while the sound of the rains is capturing a small size of the total sound around your speakers. Thomas Jensen and his powerful growling vocals are the source of all energy and life in these tracks, and his great abilities to make theatrical spoken vocals style inside the calm guitar sections made some tracks like "I Long" and "All Alone" memorable and catchy.

The album has been mixed and produced perfectly to leave a big trace in the history of the doom death metal music, the genius production is really obvious in the tracks "To The Dreams" and "Pretend". The sound of the bass is waving upon the beach of the grainy distorted guitars , and the keyboards float in a marvelous way behind the total wall of sound that the guitars create. The drumming sections in this record are one of my favorite elements, and I am sure that these beats will be the main influences for a lot of bands in the future.

And now its winter time, that means there is another piece of art will be released by this grand Danish group, as I am still stuck in the melodies of "Veronica Decides To Die" I hope the band will have the ability to pull me out of this record and get me stuck again into the melodies of the new anticipated album. I recommend this album for all the fans of good music around the world, not only for the doom metal fans, because the musical elements in this record are enough to capture the ears of mankind at once.

Originally written for: