I'm sad and bitter, but a bit plastic - 59%

mad_submarine, December 30th, 2012

A review is a very subjective thing. For example, if you hate thrash metal it wouldn't make much of a difference whether you write about 'Bonded by blood' or some shitty trash bin. Therefore, if you're not into doom death I don't think it would matter whether you listen/review a master skill band or just some folks doing their music unsuccessfully. However, the case with me is that I am quite a fan of doom, but despite this fact, "Saturn in Ascension" didn't manage to totally get under my skin. Don't get me wrong, it has a several good moments, but it indeed has many downfalls.

So, I'd just suggest a several reasons for which it might not work with you (as it didn't with me). Firstly, the production, mastering, or whatever that makes us hear the songs in their final way is too 'touched'. I think that what makes this darkened music really beautiful (speaking of the genre as a whole) is that it has something raw to it and something very real. For example, get some doom/death classics like diSEMBOWELMENT's first album or Thergothon's demos - they are just SO MUCH MORE different from modern doom death and the reason might be lying in the fact that you can't create a doomy atmosphere when you make this music crystal clear.

Secondly, the constant mixing of clear and non clear vocals - you have this *growl*, *growl* *clear singing* type of melodic death metal singing that really doesn't do it for me. Hell yeah, it's not as bad as a metalcore song, nothing comes so near the hell as these metalcore no balls gay bullshit, so no worries, it's nothing like that, plus I know that many metalheads enjoy this type of singing. It's up to you and your tastes.

Thirdly, something with the guitars is not right, for I really don't feel sad. No sadness, no anger - this album evokes no emotions in me. As if I'm listening to a pumpkin. I can't say what is wrong with the music (hello, overproduction!) but at times I feel the whole thing is theatrical and lacking in atmosphere. And that's quite strange when you think about the amazing cover artwork, name of the album and titles of the songs.

On the other hand, this release has some good sides as well. For instance, if you enjoy more romantic metal than usual, even My Dying Bride-like moments, there are plenty here. So if you happen to enjoy your metal more tender at times and need that - cool, for this record is full of stuff like that. Something rare too is that you can hear acoustic guitars accompanied by miserable lyrics and for instance, one song that I greatly enjoyed is "Call of the raven moon" - it's plain acoustics, no rough stuff, no heaviness but I think that this works better for these guys than trying to do really heavy slow music.

On overall, I believe that this might appeal to many people, but I doubt it will become a favourite of someone who is more into the oldschool.