Sathanas - Nightrealm apocalypse - 60%

Phuling, April 16th, 2009

The last I heard of Sathanas was the "Flesh for the devil" tape (well, in all honesty the MCD re-release of it), and there’s been a lot going on since the recording of that one. They’ve released a couple of fullengths and a split, and here comes another fullength. But not much has changed music-wise.

"Nightrealm apocalypse" shows off more satanic blackened old school death metal, without any ultra-blasting drums. And it’s quite unusual to find metal bands of any extreme kind without blasting nowadays. I mean, when Sathanas gets going it’s still slower than the slowest breakdown of Throneum, the closest comparison that comes to mind. But this still feels like miles away from said band, since it doesn’t carry the same ferocity and chaos, but rather a die-hard old school atmosphere. But, what shouldn’t have remained as old school is the production. If the album just had a fuller, thicker and chunkier sound it would’ve made a much deeper impact, packing a much heavier punch. As of now it’s rather thin and screechy, which however feels truer to the roots.

While the core of it all remains death metal, the riffing is flavoured with tons of black metal, as well as a high dose of thrash. It feels a bit like Possessed teamed up with Venom, adding a dash of Six Feet Under-groove. And groove is an essential ingredient here, as everything is based upon the riffing tempo, whilst the high-pitched vocals add a touch of brutality to it. But honestly, this is not really my cup of tea. Not saying I need blazing speed to enjoy music, but 38 minutes of it is too much for me. However, the title track is seriously arse-shredding, and I’ve found myself to be humming the tune tons of times.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net