Not mind blowing...but worth a listen - 70%

DarkZero, April 26th, 2009

I've never really been much of a Satariel fan, I've listened to everything they've put out over the years and I've been moderately satisfied. Swaying back and forth between melodic death(lol) and melodic black is something that few bands I listen to do very often so while I don't listen to them often, it's still somewhat of a treat when I do.

I wasn't really expecting much from this EP and that may be way the score is significantly higher than what others would consider it to be but I do believe that regardless, this is an album that is worth checking out.

It starts out with the highly repetitive but extremely moving and catchy "Hogtied Angel", and it's in all honesty four and a half minutes of the same exact riff. It's a good riff, but you'll probably be tired of it halfway through the song. Thankfully the vocals are somewhat amazing and I have to say that Pär Johansson is becoming more skilled in the clean singing department. In the lyrics department, they're pretty nice, but sadly you can see that English is not their first language, as the first line of the song is somewhat bizarre.

Now we have the song "Slithering", which is again, another repetitive riff, but again for some reason you don't mind all that much. The singing is amazing once again and the drums keep you hooked. Everything about this song keeps you hooked. The lack of harsh vocals doesn't hold this song back much either.

Next we have "Chifra", the title track. This song is a bit more technical in the guitars department but still nothing amazing. Catchy lyrics, catchy drums, catchy main riff, I feel like I'm repeating myself.

"Flies Halo" is the final song on this EP and I have to say that this is probably the poorest song on the album(unless Hogtied Angels main riff annoyed the fuck out of you). It's still a decent song, but again, nothing about this album is amazing other than the vocals, so I can't really say much more about this.

The problem with this album is that vocals don't make an album. You can smell the potential for what their cooking right now but thats about it, you can't taste it. You can't feel what's to come for their next album.

Here's to hoping the new album is less repetitive, 70%.