Hate, war, & the destruction of Christianity! - 94%

WOLFsBLOOD1349, February 15th, 2010

What has Satanic Warmaster propagated here? If Stalin & Hitler were alive today and listened to black metal, this is the shit that would be ripped to their iTunes! What I mean by that is Carelian Satanist Madness is a soundtrack to war and annihilation! It literally drips with the reigning sounds of honour & tyranny under a full moon. Just as I thought black metal was starting to thaw out along its frozen path and entirely lost its purpose, I found this grim piece of black art. Satanic Warmaster once again enshrouds my love for black metal with complete darkness.

It's hard to write a black metal review without mentioning the first wave of BM bands like Venom, Bathory, Sodom, Hellhammer, and NME who paved the way with their extreme versions of heavy metal. Or the second wave of BM bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Samael, & Dissection who violently established the genre and built the foundation for today's BM bands with their incredibly dark and unforgettable albums. This is true black metal! If you like bands like Kristallnacht, Northern Frost, Bilskirnir, Mutiilation, or Vargsang try to find this album and buy it, download it, whatever! Satanic Warmaster is a Finnish one man project from the mind of Nazgul, aka Satanic Tyrant Werwolf. Among the slew of demo's, split's, and ep's this is the 3rd full length release from Satanic Warmaster. Typically I'm not a big fan of Finnish black metal; however Satanic Warmaster never ceases to amaze me. I didn't think twice of acquiring this release regardless of the cost. So if you get the chance to grab this album, don't let it slip through the cracks.

Carelian Satanist Madness has everything a classic kult black metal release should have. From beginning to end, this album has a hold of your emotions and doesn't let go. You go from feeling perpetual hate, to the triumph of war, to feeling eminent sadness & sorrow. The production is cold and powerful. Unlike other Satanic Warmaster releases, this album was produced with a cleaner sound (not polished like Marduk's stuff) and still delivers that raw & icy aura. These are some of the coldest vocals in black metal today; they're grim like hell itself. The riffs are simple, but very effective and have that killer buzz saw sound that hypnotizes me with every listen. As the preparation of war streams through your speakers the drums compliment those killer riffs and go from a simple two-beat, then hit you with an occasional blast, and then slows to a funeral march that will be stuck in your head for days. The lyrical content is filled with distinct hatred and creates visions of malevolence. There is a definite sense of elitism and NS themes throughout this album. Even if you don't agree with the ideology of NSBM you shouldn't let that stop you from trying to find it. Overall the driving force behind all 8 songs is the continual tempo changes that create the entire atmosphere to the highest order. You will not be disappointed.

Considering how bleak and depressing the black metal scene is today with all the trendy bands and merchandise whores, it’s always nice to find a gem like this. As long as Satanic Warmaster and other bands alike keep making great music and staying true to the quintessence of this precious genre, the penetrating light upon the black metal scene today will again be cloaked by the dark and kept underground where it belongs. Keep black metal alive for its sole purpose!

Highly derivative and painfully generic - 10%

Noctir, October 13th, 2009

Carelian Satanist Madness is the third and (so far) final full-length from Finland's Satanic Warmaster. By this point, this had been established as a semi-competent band for those who wanted to hear a continuation of the Norwegian Black Metal style. There's nothing terribly original here, certainly not worth all the worship from the younger / uneducated fans. At any rate, 2005 must have been when Laura, er, Lauri decided that making full albums wasn't cult enough, so all releases that follow this one are mini-albums or splits. Perhaps, he realized that he'd already attracted plenty of sheep that thought he was doing something unique, so he chose to move on and focus on his cock-rock band.

Sadly, this album has some decent memories for me, as I recall getting it around my 26th birthday. I gave it several listens, before moving on to something else and letting the CD collect dust, so it seems to have captured those moments. If not for this, I'm not sure if I'd even still have this. Either way, from what I remember, I traded something that was totally worthless to me, so it didn't even cost me anything.

The album begins with "The Vampiric Tyrant", which opens with a memorable riff. Right away, one can tell that there's a definite drop in quality from Opferblut. I wonder if there was an intentional effort put forth toward attaining more rawness. The main complaint is that the drums are too loud in the mix, so much that the double bass becomes a rumble of distortion. The riffs, themselves, are pleasing to the ear. Vocally, Lauri didn't do too much to embarrass himself, like he did on the Clandestine Blaze split. It seems that he realized his limitations and opted not to attempt exceeding those. The tremolo riffs are straight from the playbook of many Norwegian bands of the early 90s, most notably Darkthrone.

The title track is the most problematic of the whole album. It begins well enough, sounding like something from the I Shalt Become album. However, the drums come in with a pop-like feeling. This only gets worse, as the chorus possesses a rhythm that would better suit a bloody Ramones song, as opposed to Black Metal. This is simply atrocious. Later in the song, the pacing transitions to something much more appropriate, though the blasted drums are still too high in the mix. Had this song been only half the length, minus the pop sections, it may have been alright.

"True Blackness" sounds like a rip-off of Deathcrush-era Mayhem. There's no mistaking this, whatsoever. It seems one more band can be added to the list of obvious influences. A decent tremolo melody makes an appearance, about a minute in, but it's not long before previous riff returns. I still can't figure how this band has the following that it does, though part of the explanation is that it's usually the kids that think so highly of this.

The next song is "My Dreams of 8", which is some lame cover-up for making a song about Hitler. Somehow, admiring Hitler seems a little less appealing knowing that this guy is a fan. At any rate, the music is a step up from the last couple songs. It's more mid-paced stuff, in the vein of just about every Burzum wannabe that's existed since 1995 or so. Again, the loud drums are a bit distracting, making one wonder if this was designed for the bass-loving American crowd. Despite its flaws, a few of the riffs are memorable and would be pretty decent if used by another band.

"Eaten By Rats" follows this, returning to a faster pace and allowing Laura to belt out one of his embarrassing shrieks. Thankfully, it's kept to a minimum. The main riffs of this song are pretty decent, bearing a subtle melancholic feeling. They're also among the most memorable ones found on the album, though that isn't saying much. Again, it's nothing so unique or groundbreaking, as some people seem to have fooled themselves into believing.

Fast, non-melodic, tremolo riffs and blasting drums start out the next song, "666". There's really no feeling to this, at all, seeming like noise for the sake of noise. Going through the motions might be fine for rehearsal, but this is supposed to be an album. There are also mistakes in the drumming that were left in, for some reason. I recall reading an old Burzum interview where Varg claimed to have left in some mistakes to maintain the character of the song, in some cases. Here, I think Lauri Werwolf did so just to emulate the old masters. We've already seen that he's more competent than this, in the past. At any rate, a mournful riff finally makes an appearance, a few minutes into the song. It's not a bad melody, at all, but it seems wasted since it was preceded by pointless nonsense.

"My Kingdom of Darkness" starts out in a similar manner, though with some double bass rumbling beneath the first few moments. Once the song gets going, it actually features a nice riff, though one could complain (and I will) that it's buried in the mix. Unfortunately, it's surrounded by other riffs that do nothing to add to the feeling it conveys. This guy would never get falsely accused of being terribly brilliant when it comes to arranging a song.

The album comes to an end, mercifully, with "Blessed Be, the Grim Arts!". This is six and a half minutes of the same keyboard/organ melody playing throughout, accompanied by Lauri screaming of pain and Transilvania. It's not completely worthless, but I think the piece would have been more effective had it been reduced to about three minutes, sans vocals.

All in all, there are a handful of good ideas on here, but most of them go nowhere. Even by Satanic Warmaster's standards, this album is a let-down. Opferblut was far better than this, and even it was plagued by numerous shortcomings. If you're desperate to hear more stuff in the vein of early 90s Norwegian Black Metal, and if you can get past the severe drop in quality, then this could satiate your hunger, momentarily. More than likely, it will simply have you tossing in Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum and Gorgoroth so that you can hear it done right. I can neither understand why anyone would actually spend money on a sub-par product nor can I grasp how so many kids (because 90% of the time, it's someone under 25) could praise this as if it's anything more than poorly rehashed ideas from the previous decade.

This is an example of true black metal - 90%

bloodstainedritual6, March 11th, 2009

Satanic Warmaster belongs to the group of raw black metal bands that have some things particular, which makes them different from some other irritating black metal bands such as Taarma (no insulting). These particular things are that their melodies and their lyrics are creative and interesting, maybe sometimes repetitive but not boring at all. Satanic Warmaster is a guy whose nickname is “Satanic Tyrant Werwolf aka Nazgul”, he really knows how to create pure raw black metal (specially in this album) for several reasons, his songs have simple but enjoyable riffs, the atmosphere that his songs have is perfect, his lyrics are interesting and he makes his music sound raw but not the kind of raw black metal that is raw just because its production and creativity are limited.

“Carelian Satanist Madness” is a very good example of a mature black metal recording, it combines aggression and melancholy, and I can really feel that it is true satanic music. Lyrics are good as well (even thought I don’t share his fascist philosophy at all), they mainly talk about darkness, Satanism, which is more than obvious and his political thoughts, a good example is the song named “My dreams of 8”, originally called “My dreams of Hitler” but No Colours Records banned this title(decision that I totally disagree even thought I don’t share this thought as I already said), in this song he talks about the Hitler’s empire and how it fell but the interesting thing here is that he makes it sound poetical, I mean “Satanic Tyrant Werwolf aka Nazgul” does not create stupid lyrics or lyrics with black humor as several people mistakenly believe.

The sensations that this recording gives me, are the sensations of: fearlessness, melancholy and anger at the same time. I really enjoy his guttural style and his simple but great music, a normal bass line, simple guitar riffs and simple drum bits as well with a weird production. I’m one of those who think that it’s better to have a simple but enjoyable melody than a very complicated, fast and soulless melody like the ones used for several progressive bands, I think it’s more complicated to create a simple but good melody than a fast and soulless one.

Another interesting thing, is that this guy really knows how to make chorus that are so easy to remember, this is good and it’s not common in this kind of black metal, I’m not saying that these chorus are like the ones from the album “Are you dead Yet?” of Children of Bodom(I like Children of Bodom but I really hate this album), which seem like pop chorus that are annoying, with stupid lyrics and the same melody over and over again, that’s why you can memorize them easily, no it’s it not like that and I know that they are totally different kinds of music and I also know that it’s stupid to make this comparison, I just gave the first example that came to my mind, Satanic Warmaster did it with simple riffs, smart lyrics with an insane voice, I do believe it’s much better in this way than in the other one, which is not appropriate for true metal.

Recommended tracks: “Carelian Satanist Madness”, “Eaten by Rats”, “My Dreams of 8”, “666”, “True blackness” and “Bless be, The Grim art!”

Astonishing. - 98%

Anaktas, March 13th, 2008

When I got my hands on this cd, I tell you I had no idea what the heck was coming my way. In fact I always wondered what new can a band (which essentially plays Norse-styled BM) offer. Instead, when I put this album in my cd player, it was as if Satan himself slapped me in the face and made me love "Carelian Satanist Madness".

I can tell you that bands like Satanic Warmaster give Black Metal a rejuvenating touch. The man behind SWM, Satanic Tyrant Werwolf, is gifted with inspiration and keeps the flame alive. If you get past the awful production, you will acknowledge that you just bought a fabulous album.

So, what have we here? We have about 36 minutes of mainly fast-paced, top-notch black metal, melodic and atmospheric, but without using the easy solution of keyboards. From the superb opening track "Vampiric Tyrant" to the final dark track "Blessed be, the Grim Arts!", this release manages to keep your attention (the fact that this cd lasts a mere 36 minutes adds to that). In my opinion, the standout tracks include the aforementioned two plus "Carelian satanist madness", "true blackness" and "eaten by rats". Of course I do not mean that the remainder are of bad quality (certainly not!).

In addition, I would like to add that "Carelian satanist madness" is not just 8 wonderful songs. All 8 tracks included are somehow bound together, and cannot be viewed separately. One song carries on what the previous started and so on. And in my opinion, this is a great asset of this release and what makes this album a must-have.

Before finishing this review, let me point out something. We all know Werwolf's nazist political affiliation (and we do not care, as long as he writes this marvellous music). What really-really pisses me off is the censorship of No Colours Records. It is obvious that titles like "My dreams of Hitler" are openly nazi. Everyone is free to express his own opinion. Why do you change the title of the song to "My dreams of 8"? Why do you erase/blur words like "jewish", "hitler" from the booklet? Why do you darken his extended hand in Werwolf's photo ?(he salutes the fascist way). I personally do NOT share his views but art censorship utterly repulses me. If you disagree with his views, do not release his records. He is talented enough to find another label.

P.S. The rating is not 100% just because the riff appearing in 2' 30'' of the song "666" is a Sodom/Mayhem ripoff (Mayhem's Ghoul and Sodom's Outbreak of evil). And kind of reminds me of Darkthrone's "under a funeral moon" titletrack (the second riff).

I'm moving to Finland. - 80%

KayTeeBee, March 11th, 2008

Formed in 1999, one-man black metal band Satanic Warmaster has been unleashing proud, loud and raw black metal for a while now, blessing us with such offerings as Srength & Honour and Opferblut. This third album, Carelian Satanist Madness, follows the age-old method: riffs, riffs, riffs, and more riffs. True old-school production, true old-school riffs and high-pitched and harsh vocals are what make this album insanely good.I mean just listen to the first 5 seconds of "The Vampyric Tyrant", the first track, and you'll immediately know what Satanic Warmaster is all about: no intros, just riffs. The beginning of this track feels like a march. The simple drum beat makes you feel like you're walking towards impures with your horde of satanic friends, awaiting for attack (the attack starts at 0:28). What's even more awesome about this satanic offering is its relentlessness: with eight tracks running for forty minutes, there is no time to waste. Okay, the last track is bullshit (organ or something?), but that's ok, since I rarely get owned for 33 minutes non-stop these days. Nazgul utilises daffy duck vocals to good use, for once, slightly reminiscent of the late Varg Vikernes in some moments. There's honestly nothing else to say about this album. You owe this album to yourself if you're a fan of a little thing called "riffs".

The old black metal style in it's former glory! - 95%

ordoabchao, April 26th, 2007

Saying that "Satanic Warmaster really killed with this one" would be a gross understatement! This release is nothing short of brilliant, and reeks with the dripping black metal attitude that we so miss from previous years. Amidst the turmoil that the BM scene suffers in today, Carelian Satanist Madness speaks to the people: you can have a good album, even if it isn't original.

The speed and messy chords on the duel guitars completley drench this release in a flurry of sound that much reflect what he has been doing in every release up to date: the same old school BM style punkish riffs. Yet it is done so differently in this album! The melodic style has transformed the "jumbled chords" into a more complex and sophisticated listen, none better shown in songs like "Eaten by Rats (my personal favorite)," and the slower "My Dreams of 8."

The overall speed of the album is always throwing the listener curves. It can be the same old blast beats, which even aren't that normal. It can be an altered punk beat. Or it can sometimes reflect a sophisticated and slightly sped-up doom beat. It is never really that predictable, but one of the highlights of this album for the drums is that they [i]actually know how to shut up.[/i] It is a very welcome attribute of the album when the drums with let its silence charge up in a moderately-timed pause, to later blast you with its speed.

The song writing can also not be forgotten. His stories drip with tales of graveyards and quasi-gore lyrics in a few songs, and of course his NS beleifs. Hopefully, even if you have a animosity towards Nationalist Socialism (which I share with you), I exhort that you do not simply dismiss this realease.

With releases coming in the future of SW, one can ponder as to how he can follow up this godly album.

Satanic Tyrant Werwolf at his peak! - 97%

JunaidKhan, October 2nd, 2005

This is, by far, Satanic Warmaster's finest album. It's strength lies in it's diversity - from mellow tracks like "My Dreams of 8" and melodic tracks like "The Vampiric Tyrant" to tracks like "True Blackness", where you get this feeling of evil with the dark riffs. Despite all that, this album has Tyrant Werewolf's finger-prints all over it.

Although this album is diverse, as I said before, most of the tracks tend to lie on the more melodic side. This isn't exactly a bad thing though since the production is still very raw and underground. It also makes for good hearing - after all, this is Pagan Metal from the depths of Finland. The melodic element usually consists of a few breakdowns here and there but mostly single-notation-riffs, especially in the slower tracks like "My Dreams of 8". Otherwise, it's just your normal Black Metal power-chord show but even that is done in a very melodic way. Check out the rhythm guitaring in "Eaten By Rats" to see what I mean.

A lot of work has gone into this album. I can even hear the bass breakdowns in this album and the drumming is very elaborate for a one-man project. There are even tracks in which Tyrant Werewolf's used two guitars. You can only imagine how much blood and sweat has gone into this album. To top it all up, the production for this album is PERFECT. Perfect in the sense that this is what underground Black Metal should sound like - the instruments are very audible and the highly raw and distorted guitars and the raw, even "naked", drum-sound keeps hitting you. This is up there with Graveland! This is what underground Black Metal made in the spirit of the first wave of Black Metal should sound like.

8 tracks at 40 minutes - I don't have any issues with that. If you're into any form of Black Metal, "Carelian Satanist Madness" will definitely appeal to you. This is a very strong contender for the best Black Metal album of the year, in my opinion. They're projects like these that are keeping Black Metal alive in it's truest form so buy this album!

All in all, as awesome release. Couldn't get any better than this. Satanic Warmaster's always been a little under-rated when compared with the "bigger" names but I can't see that happening anymore.

Simply Black Metal Madness - 100%

Machinebreath, August 2nd, 2005

Another masterpiece from the northern cult, Satanic Warmaster. Necro black metal played with strong hints European Pagan Metal elements in their melodies. S.W. shows that they have maturated in their songwriting skills since their debut album (Which to me manifested in-your-face rawness), tempos do shift from melodic riffs to punk rockish rhythms to breakneck blast beats. The minimalistic studio production sets the dark ambience perfectly. The chords that open True Blackness reminds me of Mayhem’s Chainsaw Gutfuck, but the similarities end there. The album closes with an eerie pipe organ solo that seems to be played inside a cobweb filled cathedral, a demonic chanting whisper can be heard in the middle of this track. To conclude, with the lackluster latest releases of leading black metal bands such as Darkthrone, I highly recommend this work to anyone who exclusively relishes non-commercial, underground, true black metal.