Aeon without the cheese... or charm - 74%

the16th6toothson, February 15th, 2009

Aeon's a kickass Swedish band with a heavy nod towards the Deicide style of song and lyric writing. With it's over the top aggression, relentless trigger happy drumming and barbaric way of forcing metal right into your brain and out yer ass with little to no thought of subtlety, Aeon is pretty much for the DeathMetal fan who craves it in your face and always nothing but. But then they write love songs to Lucifer and my goodness is that terrible...

Here's where a band like Sanctification comes in. These lyrics are terrible, but luckily not terrible to the point of being parody, nor can you understand what he's saying anyway! Terrible as in ''he obviously thought about 2 minutes to come up... 2 minutes of lyrics'' Just the same near nonsensical crap about killing and being destine for hell and blah blah from one song to the next. Thankfully there is no love poems to the dark lord, but then gay-bashing Christians for having a lord and saviour obsessed with oral sex (yet you want to be Satan's bride and that's not just as gay?), no sir Sanctification says ''to hell with decent lyrics, let's just worship Deicide musically!''

So what we have left fellow readers and headbangers is a tribute to Deicide's cross roads between ''Once Upon the Cross'' & ''Serpents of the Light'' along with a touch of Morbid Angel pre-Domination, and the -go-go-go attitude of Deranged, though not as catchyas any of these.
If you haven't heard Aeon you will force me to try harder in this review because sonically it's the same band but without great solos or double tracked vocals. Speaking of vocals, Mathias has a good but lacking in personality growl, it's somewhat dry but not totally hoarse, and he has a pretty good tone in general but he doesn't enunciate hardly at all, think a voice akin to Masse Broberg's work with God Among Insects and you have a close idea.
The riff style is rhythmic and cyclic and never strays too far in terms of tempo or time shifts so don't expect 15 riffs in 2 minutes, but it's also not entirely repetitive either. Hooks aren't found often but do occur in songs like ''Summoning the Ancient Ones'' and ''Necrolord''. Bass rumbles under the guitar and while it can't be heard to well you can detect when it's used to flesh out some of the more open ended riffs (again pointing towards ''Summoning the Ancient Ones’’ for a prime example). Drum work is trigger heavy,(might as well be a drum machine haha!), the double bass work is EXTREMELY fast and tight (this man later went on to join Aeon), and some of the fills and rolls are so quick you won’t really detect them without headphones. Besides some drums fills not making their way into your mind immediately, the production is full and clear; very modern but not clinical or unnatural (besides of cours the overly triggers drum kit).

The problem here is while it’s rather intense and raging, the songs get kind of “samey” and if you play this album once or twice it will all blur together; and that’s always an awful flaw to leave an album burdened with. Repeated listens will expose some of the songs being filler and some others as being the direction the band should head into (the band is at it’s best using the rolling double bass ala the track ‘’Misanthropic Salvation’’). I recommend this album with caution, this is certainly for fans of Aeon, Deicide, early Morbid Angel, Krisiun , L6b6t6my and even in some small ways- Deranged; but if these bands don’t float your boat you’ll with good reason dismiss Sanctification.

However if you DO like all those bands I mentioned (and I know I do!) then you will see Sanctification for what they are ‘’one more DeathMetal band that kickass and takes name and doesn’t care what anybody thinks of them’’