A great power metal debut. - 92%

Nova84, July 10th, 2008

It's quite rare that a band has a debut album this solid. Featuring two members of Swedish power metal outfit Dionysus and ex-Highland Glory singer Jan Thore Grefstad, "In Shadows Lost From the Brave" boasts 12 tracks of short, catchy metal songs.

One of the strongest areas of the album is the choruses. They are big, memorable, and will stay in your head for a long time. With only a couple of exceptions, each song has a very memorable, sing-along chorus. The vocals are well-done, and the lyrics can range from personal subjects to fantasy. Some of the strongest choruses here are in "My Judas", "In Shadows Lost From the Brave", and "Deamons". If you like power metal with good choruses, this is a good place to look.

The guitar riffs are solid, and the solos are melodic and tasteful. There are some hints of classical influence, as shown on songs such as "Black Symphony". The bass never strays too far from the rhythm of the song. Harmonized guitars are quite common in metal, and this is no exception here. Still, there is a good use of harmony in the solos.

One can definitely hear the band's influences in songs like "Ride Forever" and "The Brave Never Bleeds". I am strongly reminded of HammerFall and Iron Maiden on these two tracks. The shouted choruses and galloping guitars will probably please fans of both these bands.

There are two ballads here, "My Heart" and "My Sorrow". Both are good songs, although I find the stronger of the two to be "My Sorrow". The chorus of this song is one of the highlights of the album.

I would recommend this album to fans of Iron Maiden, HammerFall, Helloween, or anyone who likes hard rock/metal.

Highlights: "My Judas", "In Shadows Lost From the Brave", "No Man's Land", "Deamons", "My Sorrow".