Typical power metal with bad vocals... - 76%

PowerMetalGuardian, December 18th, 2003

Sacred Steel is definetly your "flower metal" band. So if you don't like that stuff then stay far, far away. Don't get me wrong, I love power metal. But this album is not all that great. If the one main reason, or only reason you buy this album, let it be for the awsome riffs and lead solo's that coexist with the heavy drum beats. The drumming is awsome, excellent there. I was really surprised with the guitar works. It's not like your typical fast picking power metal riffs. It takes on a more thrash oriented style. Songs like Dark Forces Lead Me To The Brimstone Gate and Blood on My Steel have some of this awsome thrash like riffing. I would also like to point out that my favorite song on this album, Lust For Blood sounds a lot like an Iron Maiden song. This album also tackles on some keyboards and synth stuff...it all flows and sounds good from this perspective.

So what sucks about this album? It's almost to much power metal! All the songs are about fantasy stuff, which is okay, but the singing is just horrible. You can definetly tell he is German. Unlike other singers like Kursch and Scheepers, who also come from Germany, they do a good job of hidding their native sound. This singer also hits notes and lets them flay out of tune that really doesn't meet any of the other musical notes.

I would recommend this to power metal fans who love power metal at a 100% level. 99.5% and forget it. Although the rest of the music sound like thrash metal, if you don't like the typical power metal lyrics, don't waste your time. Good songs are: Throne of Metal, Lust For Blood, Sacred Warriors of Steel, and Metal is War.