Takes some getting used to - 76%

ADLombard, July 29th, 2004

Sacred Steel's Bloodlust is the first and only album of their's that I have purchaced, or intend to purchace for that matter. There are definatly some solid points to this album, but even once you get used to the vocalist this album is little more than background noise. Don't get me wrong there are some definate high points that other reviewers have pointed out, the best of them being that unlike some "fantasy metal" bands (Bal-Sagoth) their lyrics do not make me burst out laughing when i read them. Over all the album is solid with some very good work on the instraments especially the drums, even the vocals are fine once you get used to them. Sure they aren't exactly melodic, but shit we aren't talking about an opera here, we're talking metal. Once you get used to this that is what Sacred Steel is: metal. There's nothing wrong with it, but unless you're playing a D&D game where someone is running around with a magic sword named Stormhammer, this is hardly a clasic or eve a must buy. Just some decent metal, and thats fine with me.

Typical power metal with bad vocals... - 76%

PowerMetalGuardian, December 18th, 2003

Sacred Steel is definetly your "flower metal" band. So if you don't like that stuff then stay far, far away. Don't get me wrong, I love power metal. But this album is not all that great. If the one main reason, or only reason you buy this album, let it be for the awsome riffs and lead solo's that coexist with the heavy drum beats. The drumming is awsome, excellent there. I was really surprised with the guitar works. It's not like your typical fast picking power metal riffs. It takes on a more thrash oriented style. Songs like Dark Forces Lead Me To The Brimstone Gate and Blood on My Steel have some of this awsome thrash like riffing. I would also like to point out that my favorite song on this album, Lust For Blood sounds a lot like an Iron Maiden song. This album also tackles on some keyboards and synth stuff...it all flows and sounds good from this perspective.

So what sucks about this album? It's almost to much power metal! All the songs are about fantasy stuff, which is okay, but the singing is just horrible. You can definetly tell he is German. Unlike other singers like Kursch and Scheepers, who also come from Germany, they do a good job of hidding their native sound. This singer also hits notes and lets them flay out of tune that really doesn't meet any of the other musical notes.

I would recommend this to power metal fans who love power metal at a 100% level. 99.5% and forget it. Although the rest of the music sound like thrash metal, if you don't like the typical power metal lyrics, don't waste your time. Good songs are: Throne of Metal, Lust For Blood, Sacred Warriors of Steel, and Metal is War.