A Question of Quality - 75%

roadwarrior666, January 23rd, 2010

A Question is a mid-tempo song with a heavy guitar tone. It’ still pretty thrashy but also shows signs of groove. To me, A question is a perfect example of Sacred Reich between The American Way and Independent, which was exactly when it was released. It’s good, but it could be better. There’s no real build up or fast mosh part or particularly awesome, memorable riff. There’s a solo but it is very short and simple and doesn’t help the song much. All in all A Question is just a mediocre track. Something to play in the background when you’re doing homework or reading because you know it won’t be too much of a distraction. Being a diehard Sacred Reich fan, I enjoy this track just because it’s Sacred Reich. A band that doesn’t have a whole lot of material to begin with.

Next on the list is Lets Start a War, a Fear cover. Fear is a hardcore punk band from LA, but this song surprisingly sounds very natural and fits well. I don’t know much about the band, but the Sacred Reich’s cover is very entertaining.

“There's so many of us, Let's have a war, So you can go and die!, Let's have a war!, We could all use the money!, Let's have a war!, We need the space!, Let's have a war!, Clean out this place!

Let's have a war!, Sell the rights to the networks!, Let's have a war!, General Motors get fat like last time!, Let's have a war!, Give guns to the queers!, Let's have a war!, The enemy's within! It already started in the city! Suburbia will be just as easy!”

As you can see the lyrics are quite political, which suites Sacred Reich’s repertoire perfectly. The fact that Sacred Reich are covering a punk band just goes to show how musically diverse they really are, not to mention previous works like 31 Flavours and Surf Nicaragua, and that they don’t constrict themselves to just metal. Overall, a pretty cool song.

Last but not least is the teenage metal head tribute Who’s to Blame, which speaks of a young metal head who commits suicide and his parents blame it on all the metal he listens to instead of realizing that they were actually bad parents who never listened to what he had to say. It’s kind of half ballad, half speed thrash. A pretty sick track and one of my favourites. I’m sure many of you have been in similar situations, not suicide, but feeling isolated and unheard. And although this song means a lot to me and is a very important Sacred Reich song, it is already featured on The American Way album, and I can’t help but get the feeling that it is just a filler track. It is still a good choice for this EP but I wish there was more to it than just three tracks. A live track or maybe some demo work would have been sufficient to add onto. Considering the three tracks presented here, this is a mediocre release in general, but an important release that fans of Sacred Reich should enjoy. And being a fan of Sacred Reich, I very much enjoyed this release.